Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Why did you restore a Squarebird??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mag is too large for my scanner but this is off of their web site.
    Volume 6 Issue 59

Comment

• JohnG
      John
      • Jul 28 2003

Taking Squarebirds where no Squarebird has gone before....awesome....
      1958 Hardtop
      #8452 TBird Registry
      http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
      history:
      http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

SMOKIN' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by El Guapo
        The Mag is too large for my scanner but this is off of their web site.
        Volume 6 Issue 59

Comment

• mrfreeze
          • May 16 2007

Why did you decide to restore a Squarebird vs other cars?
          I was already near completion on my first project, a 1967 Mustang coupe, my brother had recently purchased a 1967 Mustang Fastback (which is still waiting for attention), and since we were getting into classic restorations, my father decided it was time for him to get something for himself. He ended up buying a 1964 T-bird on Ebay, and the three of us were going to drive to Southern Illinois that Thursday night (from central MN) to pick it up. On Thursday morning, my dad saw an ad in the local paper for a 1960 Thunderbird for sale for $675, and told me about it. I thought it must be a misprint, there had to be a number missing at one end or the other of the price. He called the number and found out the car had been in a barn that was torn down because the elderly couple who owned the farm had moved into town and sold the land. It had been sitting since 1970, odometer said 23,160, and the guy didn't know if it ran, but assumed that it would not. I didn't even know what a 1960 Thunderbird looked like at that time, and I said we had to at least look at it. The tires were all flat, the rockers and rear wheel wells were rusted out, interior shot, but the car was complete and the floors were solid. (was undercoated when new) I really liked the roof line and the front end, liked how it looked sitting low to the ground, and I saw a lot of potential in it. My dad would have bought it if he had not already made the deal for the one in Illinois, but I said that I thought it was worth $675, and if he didn't buy it, I would. So I did.

How long have you been at it?
          Bought the car in November 2005, I think... then it sat for a couple of years before I pulled the motor, tore it down and rebuilt it. Bought some 18" wheels and tires last year, pulled the interior out, then it sat some more. Ordered parts to rebuild suspension and steering, plus sheetmetal for rockers and quarters, but haven't found the right body man to do the work. I want to paint the engine compartment before rebuilding the suspension, and right now I'm trying to get the bumpers off so it will be ready for the body shop.

What unexpected pleasures or successes has it brought? Any disasters?
          Just having seeing the car in my driveway is a pleasure, because I love the lines (except for the back end) and see the potential. In restoration, nothing is a disaster... setbacks are expected. The engine was tight, I think it was the #5 cylinder, I couldn't get it freed no matter what. I disassembled the engine as much as possible, even ended up disconnecting the rod from the crank and trying to pound it out with a BFH, and ended up bending that rod and damaging the piston. So I had to get a new set of pistons, but that only set me back a little over $100, and I found a complete set of rods on Ebay for $30 shipped. Trying to get a title for the car has been somewhat of a disaster, because I purchased the car through a neighbor of the elderly couple, and the State didn't like the Bill of Sale I had even though it had the owners signature and that of the guy I gave the money to. Rusted bolts, expensive parts and the cost of body work are all major obstacles, but I'm not in a hurry to get this one done, so it's not a huge problem.

What would you pass on to others?
          Know what you are getting yourself into, and take all the expenses into account when you buy a car to restore. Getting a rust free car to start with is worth a lot, so you're better off saving your money until you can afford a better car to start with, because you'll spend more than the difference in price on sheetmetal and labor if you get a car that needs metalwork.

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by mrfreeze
            [B][COLOR=blue]Just having seeing the car in my driveway is a pleasure
            A pic from the driveway would be nice
            sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎