X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

430 Vacuum Advance Line

Does anyone have a photo showing the 430 vacuum advance steel line from the Distributor to the Carter Carb?

I need to make one and don't have a clue as to what it looks like. The one for the 352 isn't the same.

Thanks
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

I used the shop manual for a general idea of the routing. I don't have it with me, but there is an illustration of the 430 with the hood removed and another one, sort of a side view. Ultimately I obtained a line from a 59 430 Lincoln, slightly differs as the Lincoln line runs under the coil, the Tbird manual shows the route over the coil. Note that the line/fitting flare differs from that of a fuel line when you fab one, let us know how you made out. I was hoping to have a new one fabbed by 'Inline Tube', but the Lincoln line isn't correct for the TBird. Any one else willing to have some fabbed from their correct line, I'd certainly buy one or two.

Ken
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• tbird430
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 18 2007

Sorry I cut mine when I added the aftermarket replacement vaccum advance some 10 yrs ago...
      sigpic
      The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 23 2005

Before I owned the car, someone cut the line on both sides and put rubber hose in between the Carb and Vacuum.

Thanks for the reference of the 430 engine photo showing the vacuum line in the manual. If I can find the small compression fittings for the ends, I should be able to make a new line.

I noticed in the photo (Page 7-14, Fig 9) that the nose of the ignition coil points to the firewall. AND, it has a "loop knot" in the wire from the coil to the distributor.

My coil points forward, and what is that "loop knot" for. Is it to somehow reduce ignition noise?
        Bart
        1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• GTE427
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 9 2007

This weekend I took some pictures of my fuel and vacuum lines. I'll send them in to be posted. Note that both lines came from a 59 Lincoln, the fuel looks to be the same, but the vacuum line is routed differently at the coil. Hopefully between my photos and the shop manual you can re-create the original route. Disregard the blue peeling paint on my car, all in due time.

Ken
          Ken
          1959 J Convertible
          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• bcomo
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 23 2005

Thanks Ken. I'll wait for the photos.
            Bart
            1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• bcomo
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 23 2005

Does Vacuum Line have a loop???

Does the 60 430 vacuum line have a loop in the line coming from the carburetor?

The photo in my 60 manual (Page 1-44 Fig. 9) shows almost all 90 degree bends from the carb to the vacuum. I understand that the 59 shop manual shows a loop in the line at the carb.

Since I'm making the line myself, I'd like to get it right.

Does anyone with a 60 430 still have the original steel line, or can answer that question?

Thanks
              Bart
              1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 18 2007

My original steel line did have a rather large 4" loop bent into it up close to the distributer, just after the 1st 95-100 degree bend coming away from the actual vaccum advance pod. I wish I had a pic for u sir...

After the loop there were 2-3 more slight bends just moving it towards the carb mounting point.
                sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 23 2005

Jon:

That 4" piece at the vacuum advance unit is exactly like one of the two pieces that I have. (Remember, I said that my line had been cut and has a hose between that one piece at the vacuum and the carb 90 degree elbow piece.

That also goes along with what's shown in the shop manual drawing. So, I guess that the 60 line is different from the 59 line and the 60 has no loop at the carb base.

OK -- I'm going to make it like the shop manual diagram. I need to get that vacuum advance connected.
                  Last edited by bcomo; November 15, 2007, 02:48 PM.
                  Bart
                  1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

That would be correct. There was def. no loop near my carb. fitting...
                    sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎