Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fomoco59
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 10 2005

R&R on my Cruise-O cost me about $500 in 2001. Wouldn't be suprised if it's doubled since then.
    sigpic
    Mike Lemmon
    '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• FeFranco
      Experienced
      • Jan 13 2007

I had my C-O-M rebuilt by a very reputable transmission shop. I think that is where I would start if I were you. I to wanted to change to a C6 when I originally started my plan to replace the 352 to a strong 390. When I spoke to the trans man about my plan he told me that when he gets through with it I should not have any problems with the C-O-M behind the 390. So, I took his opinion, didn't have to make any modifications and it shifts really nice (snappy for the lack of a better word). The converter was upgraded to about a 2000-2200 stall speed. El Guapo recommended http://www.broaderperformance.com/ and you should give them a call. Shipping might be a hassle, but they are definitely worth a look/call.

Comment

THANKS for all of the feed back !

i appreciate it !

Comment

• danowens3
          Experienced
          • Dec 29 2005

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone for the advice on the transmission. I decided today to have the transmission re-built. The guy at the tranny shop said he is going to replace the front bushing bearing (I think that is what he said), he ordered new bands, will put in a re-build kit and of course new filter and fluid for $1239.00 and I will have the car back in 2-3 days. Stinks to have to do it, but I guess 47 years and nearly 100k on the transmission and it is certainly been a reliable transmission. The rest of the car has been restored and is a real head turner and gets lots of attention at local car shows. Only things not original or replacement original parts are the headers I put on and I could not help myself from putting fancy wheels on. These cars are a lot of fun and a joy to drive. Thanks again, Dan

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Hi Guys

Have been reading these threads about the cruise-o-matic with some interest. I would tend to agree that rebuilding the original ( where possible ) is the best route to take. I have question about D1 being the normal drive vs D2 second gear. At what speed, does the D1 become load intensive on the tranny. By that I mean, is it preferable say in city driving around 30-40 mph, to leave it in D1 instead of D2?? My 58
            is very strong and responsive at 65 -70 mph to kick in when
            needed in D2.

Dano Calgary,Alberta
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢