X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

RE: Lowering a Square Bird

Agreed !! Plus cutting coils puts the control arms at a different angle putting added stress on the ball joints. Truthfully, drop spindles are the way to go. Somebody called Fatman Products ?? Fatman . . . Fatboy . . . something, anyhow they have 2" drop spindles ( & disc conv). That would leave the susp in the stock posn.

John

Comment

Yes Fatman does have drop spindles, they are a 3" drop and cost $550 and use granada brakes.

Or there is DC Enterprises, I don't know much about them

Convert your '54-'64 Ford, '54-'64 Merc or '55-'60 T-Bird the "Safe Way"
      With the security of a Custom Engineered, Disc Brake System.

EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR ONLY $595.00

Wow! spindle.W

The Complete Kit Includes:
      Custom-Machined Spindles (Hardness & Stress Checked )
      New HD Inner Wheel Seals, New HD Brake Hoses, Machined to fit stock brake lines
      1 Pair of Inner Dust-Shields / Vented Covers (Black)
      New HD Inner Wheel Bearings, New HD Outer Wheel Bearings
      New Premium Brake Rotors (vented), Premium Re-Manufactured HD Brake Calipers
      Premium HD Disc Brake Pads
      Plus All Hardware & Complete step by step Installation Instructions

Comment

• dgs
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2003

255's in front, wow. What's the offset of those wheels? My Boyd's are 8" wide with a zero offset and work very well.

I did notice there's a lot more room in back, at least with the '59-'60 leaf springs. I didn't want to run different sizes front and back. 275 is probably doable, but getting them on and off will be fun. I had a challenge with mine last time. Need to get it way up in the air.
        DGS (aka salguod)
        1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
        www.salguod.net

Comment

I honestly don't remember, but they have a bunch of positive offset, I think positive is if most of the wheel is inboard of the zero right?.

And yes I agree with you on the back, I have to jack the frame way up in the air to get the wheels on the car. In fact the tire shop will not deal with the car, I have to bring the rims in off the car before they will deal with it.

But it is the look I want. I had not planned to stay with those wheels long term, but they look pretty good on the car. I was wanting to run a set of fat lip polished rims on the car with grey centers, like a set of Coys C-5 Greys or a set of Foose Nitrous Grey centered wheels.

I was suprised also how much tire I was able to get on the car, I am running 235x45x17 up front on my olds and 275x40x17 in the rear and that is about all I can fit on it. So I must say the TBird suprised me.

I personally think 17" are a very good size for the older cars, I don't really like the look of the 20" and the 18" are almost to much.

Comment

• dgs
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 13 2003

I agree, 17" is a good size as long as you put enough tire on them. I've seen some with 17' and rubber band tires, Looks silly. That's why I went with the 55 series. Lower profile with more width, like yours, works too.

I think it's because it matches the 'meaty' look of the originals from the side. If you think about it, the stocks were 14" of chrome with a ring of white about 2 1/4". That makes about 18.5" of bright stuff, so a rim size of 17" or 18" is in keeping with the original design.

That's my theory anyway. :-)
            DGS (aka salguod)
            1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
            www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍