• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Finding 1958-60 Paint

Hello!

I was wondering if there are resources out that for finding matching paint? When I do a repair job on my Indian Turquoise bird I want to be sure there's a way to match the paint and not have to alter the color. That would be so awful!

Thanks to anyone who knows about this.
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

If you take your paint code to a good automotive paint shop, they should be able to mix the color to match your car. The main problem with this is that it does take into the effect of paint fade. Not sure if the paint shop can try to accommodate for this.
    Nyles

Comment

• p38fighter
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 14 2016

59 convertible

A good paint supplier can use a spectrometer to match paint from a sample you bring. I used the hood scoop as an example and got a great match from my supplier.
      Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

CLICK HERE for a paint chart.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• ssj335
          Experienced
          • Jul 13 2018

Those are all great bits of advice! I'm happy to hear that a good place should hopefully be and to replicate the color. That's a relief.

Comment

• Sherman
            Experienced
            • Aug 22 2009

You could also take the fender skirts.

Although, if they haven't been on the car and exposed to all of the same climate conditions as the rest of the vehicle, they might not work for color matching.

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by ssj335
              Hello!

I was wondering if there are resources out that for finding matching paint? When I do a repair job on my Indian Turquoise bird I want to be sure there's a way to match the paint and not have to alter the color. That would be so awful!

Thanks to anyone who knows about this.
              Unless you plan on painting the car yourself why are you buying paint? If you are taking it to a body shop to do the metal work it's their job to match the paint, not yours.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
                Experienced
                • Jul 13 2018

Thanks. I'm not buying the paint I just wanted to know if it is possible for them to match the paint to properly. Because I'm clueless, it's probably a silly question but I was afraid that because the paint isn't available any longer that I would be out of luck having it done right.

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Body shops are in business to paint cars. It's much more difficult to match metallic paints than a non-metallic paint like your turquoise. I wouldn't stress over it. Any color can be matched with the technology that's available today.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• ssj335
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 13 2018

Well I feel a lot better now!

Originally posted by jopizz
                    Body shops are in business to paint cars. It's much more difficult to match metallic paints than a non-metallic paint like your turquoise. I wouldn't stress over it. Any color can be matched with the technology that's available today.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Finding 1958-60 Paint

Hi Kirsten, congrats on making Apprentice! I think the question regarding matching paints might have come up because of someone posting that they were told a paint company(s)? said they could no longer match the old 1960 Sultana Turquoise Metallic paint. Because the original ingredients were no longer available to them in todays paints.

However, it is my understanding that 1959 Indian Turquoise is NOT a metallic paint, so you might be okay. The idea of using one of your fender skirts as a paint source might be a good one. Of course paint ages over years and fades, so, hopefully, a good paint techie can match the new paint to be put on with the aged paint that is on the car. But then if you have the entire car painted, it isn't going to matter in matching the paint....
                      Last edited by YellowRose; July 19, 2018, 09:30 AM. Reason: Spelling

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• sidewalkman
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 14 2015

I took the hood scoop in for a paint match, and it was close but not quite right, I think the best you can hope for in a paint match is close, unless you're getting the whole car resprayed you will always notice where you applied touch ups. Turns a good 100 foot car into a good 10' car. But to be a good 1' car it requires getting a full paint job. And that requires all the exterior pieces being removed. So determine what you are happy with a driver that you can take to meet and greets or a show car you have to park a mile from anyone else
                        Scott
                        South Delta, BC, Canada
                        1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                        Red Leather Interior!
                        www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                        Thunderbird Registry #61266
                        http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢