• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KULTULZ

Additional Identification Information

Below Is Additional ID Info I Had Stored

FE Engine Identification
    courtesy of Adrian M. Clements
    Engine block casting number on the passenger side of the block around cylinder 2 (2nd from the front)
    Engine block casting date by the oil filter adapter on the driver side of the engine block.
    Short block assembly date stamped into the engine block on the small metal boss at the very front of the driver side of the engine block.
    Cylinder head casting numbers in between cylinders 2 & 3 (passenger side) and cylinders 6 & 7 (driver side).
    Cylinder head casting dates in between cylinder 2 & 3 (passenger side) and cylinders 6 & 7 (driver side), under the valve covers.
    Intake manifold casting number and date in front of the carburetor.
    Exhaust manifold casting numbers on the exhaust manifold surface that faces the inner fender and front suspension in line with cylinder 2 (passenger side) and cylinder 6 (driver side).
    Exhaust manifold casting dates on the exhaust manifold surface that faces the inner fender and front suspension in line with cylinder 3 (passenger side) and cylinder 7 (driver side).
    Carburetor engineering number and date of manufacture on a small, triangular aluminum tag under a screw on the front passenger side of the carburetor.
    Engine code and long block assembly date on a small, rectangular aluminum tag under the coil hold-down bolt.

In Addition-

1958 Engine Coding

I have been following the question of date-coding '58 motors, and finally found time to offer what I'm aware of. According to Management Service Letter M-167a, the casting date of motor block for the 352 is supposed to be cast on the side or the front of the block, with the engine's assembly date stamped on a machined pad/boss just below and forward of the #1 cylinder exhaust port on the driver's front corner of the block (the dipstick tube passes by it).

Casting codes were also given in the bulletins. In '58, the block casting date can be found either on the front surface of the block to the right of the water pump or on the right side of the block in the area of the #1 cylinder. For instance, 8AS:2 translates into 8=1958; November; S=18th Day of Month; 2=Casting shift.

The coding should include year, month, work shift and date along with assembly plant code.

To quote the Bulletin for the casting date: "...codes use a number to indicate the year. The second figure may be either a number or letter to indicate the month as follows: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0-A-B. The third symbol is either a screw head for Cleveland built units (flat for the day shift or round for the night shift) or a letter for Dearborn built units to denote the day of the month (A through Z with the exception of I, and inverted A through F).

An illustration is also shown for the assembly date code. For example, it gives 3-8BFP. The first figure indicates the assembly plant (1-Cleveland Plant #1, 2-Cleveland Plant #2, 3-Dearborn Engine Plant); the second digit indicates year; third digit indicates month, and fourth digit indicates day. The fifth digit is a mark assigned to an inspector at the plant.

Therefore, 3-8BFP translates to: 3=Dearborn Engine Plant; 8=1958; B=February; F= 5th day of month; P=Inspector's Code

The 430's assembly date is supposed to be stamped on the block in front of the left head, according to the '60 bulletin M-204.

Additional cast codes on the block: DIF means Dearborn Industrial Foundry, while Cleveland-cast blocks have a C and L imposed on each other (similar to the symbol for Center Line). An engine's casting foundry can also be ID'd as follows: all 352 blocks have the number 5750603 cast on the right side of the area of #1 cylinder: Dearborn cast this number upside down, Cleveland right side up.

The 430's were all cast at Dearborn, have number 5752001 cast on the right side of the area of #1 cylinder and have "DIF" foundry marks.

Q.E.D.

Alan H. Tast ,AIA President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l., Author, "Thunderbird 1955-66"

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

It would be interesting to see what intake manifold shows up on later production 1960 cars although as you mentioned - without documentation - they could have also been replaced. Curious on that 15 on the block too - I was expecting to see the 352. I find it really hard to believe that the whole engine was replaced - but you never know. The Ford dealer where it was serviced has changed hands 5 or 6 times. I even met with the owner one time to ask if any of their service records or those of previous owners had been kept - unfortunately not.

Even though my Dad and Mom bought my car new and I know most of the history on it - there were a few years there I was a little to small to work on it - but I sure had fun with my hot wheels on the back seat race track.

Believe they bought it very late in '60 or early '61. Here's a letter from Iacocca dated 3/61

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by DKheld

It would be interesting to see what intake manifold shows up on later production 1960 cars although as you mentioned - without documentation - they could have also been replaced.

Curious on that 15 on the block too - I was expecting to see the 352. I find it really hard to believe that the whole engine was replaced - but you never know.
        I believe your block is correct. The 15 matches an early photo of an early FE block that shows the same 15 and 352 on the rear of the block.

Hopefully you will at some point get her degreased to the point of finding the Casting Date Code and hopefully the Assembly Date Code Stamping.

It would be ideal to have a I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours... ...database where all of this errant info could be stored for future reference.

Another Errant Thought- If the piston did extensive damage to the block, it (block) may also be a service replacement. Sometimes, FORD would supply a new short asm. (or a FORD AUTHORIZED REMAN) in lieu of having to pay the dealership labor warranty claims or if it was less costly just to simply replace it.

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

How does the "0F2" date code on the C1AE intake translate?

Comment

No problem DKheld. So it looks like I have a 332 then? Im gonna look for more numbers tomorrow. Where would the intake date code be?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by partsetal

How does the "0F2" date code on the C1AE intake translate?
              Refer to POST #20 for coding information.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎