Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 66tbird@21
    Apprentice
    • May 29 2013

ok the fuel system is ready to go. i have 6 gallons in the tank and the gauge is just above e. i find that funny.
    is it ok to use dexron III in the bird? also, any suggestions as to which tranny fluid to use?
    Alex

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Type F transmission fluid is what is recommended. If it hasn't been rebuilt I would stick with that.

As far as your gas gauge being off it could be the CVR (constant voltage regulator) behind the instrument panel or you don't have a good ground at your gas tank. You can put a wire from the tank to the body and see if it helps.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 66tbird@21
        Apprentice
        • May 29 2013

Window switch shorting out

Hey y'all!
        Ny had quite a winter but it's dying out which means I can work outside again! I was wondering if anyone came across this issue before.
        The window switch shorts out on itself. I can see the sparks coming from the Frame of the switch when I push the window. Will replacing the switch take care of this issue? Can I repair this unit?
        Thanks,
        Alex

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's possible that the plastic casing on one of the switches has cracked or broken off causing it to arc. Also the insulation on the switch wires may have cracked causing it to arc on the frame. Either way the individual switches can be replaced or the entire unit can be replaced as a whole. I'm assuming that you are referring to the power window switch unit on the console. Your best bet is to take the unit out and see what the problem is. If it's a wire that's bare that should be an easy fix.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• 66tbird@21
            Apprentice
            • May 29 2013

Anyone have any idea where the flasher unit/relay is?

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Turn signal flasher? Under the dash on the driver's side.

Comment

• 66tbird@21
                Apprentice
                • May 29 2013

I found the turn signal flasher relay. I need to find the four way flasher/ emergency flasher relay. And i heard it's a circular shaped relay as opposed to a rectangle...
                Any advice would be great,
                Alex

Comment

• 66tbird@21
                  Apprentice
                  • May 29 2013

hey everyone its been a long time. i found the emergency flasher relay and replaced it. the flasher unit now works! i have two questions. when the unit is on
                  1. should the turn signals in the rear be working sequentially, or all turn signals in the rear should be flashing in unison?

Additionally, when the unit is on, should the front turn indicator lights and the fender indicator lights be flashing as well?
                  thanks in advance,
                  Alex

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

starting from scratch

Hi Alex, congratulations! As to your question regarding the rear turn signals, when you turn them on to make a left turn or a right turn, you should be seeing them flashing sequentially on your '66 Flairbird. Just like you see on this web page showing them how they work. Scroll down the page and you will see them flashing.

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...equipment.html

I would think if you turn on your turn signal indicator to make a left or right turn, you should also be seeing the front indicators doing the same thing. But I don't own a Flairbird...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• 66tbird@21
                      Apprentice
                      • May 29 2013

Thanks for the response. unfortunately i didnt specify my question enough. my question is regarding the 4 way flasher/emergency flasher, not turn signals. Again, my questions are if the rear should be flashing in unison, not sequentially when the emergency flasher/four way flasher is on. And Additionally if the front turn indicator lights and fender indicator lights should be flashing when the four way flasher/emergency flasher is engaged.
                      Thanks in advance,
                      Alex

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎