X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

A nice suprice :)

I have now taken off my bumpers and send them away for chrome and to get some dents and bumps fixed. They where in a worse condition than I thought, as what looked to be " a little dent" in the front bumper actually was one little and four more that I didnīt see while it was still on the car...
    The rear was worse, but that was no supprice It is tough to get stuff like this done here, but I gave the parts to the very best company in this country when it comes to parts like this. They actually only chrome for old cars, bikes and boats. Will cost me somewhere in the region of +4000 bucks. I hope you guys understand how lucky you are when it comes to restore old cars. But they promiced they will be like new Doubble layer of copper with polish in between.
    Back to the topic.
    When I took of the front bumper, there was some brackets holding the inner mesh. On one of these brackets, they where all dirty, I saw something in the dirt that I understood wasnīt original, and tryed to clean it as good as I could. Some text appered and I first thought this was some kind of gadget that you can put on your car and then trace it by GPS or something like that. Perhaps put on by the last owner in US?
    I told my best buddy at work, who have a few old american cars, and he told me to see if I could opend it as he though it might be one of those magnetic boxes peolpe can put there spare keys into.
    Back home again, I checked, and after some more cleaning, I manage to opend the slide, and in there, I found one set of original keys in some cotton! One for the door /ignition and one for the trunk
    I have already changed the door lock, but I didnīt have any extra for the boot, so that was a welcome present.
    Attached Files
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
  • LuckyJay
    • Jan 4 2007

Vintage Keys! Good SCORE

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

A nice surprise

That is quite the find, Anders! Congratulations!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Hey! - I too had a find like that - except my magnetic box is plastic (**** that's progress for you, a mid 60's car is bound to have more plastic!).

Didn't even know it was there until I got the car back to New Zealand.
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Please understand, back in the day we left our keys in the ignition and most homes in our neighborhood were never locked.

When I was a kid, I never had a key to the house (neither did my siblings). Most of the time my pockets were totally empty. As long as my mitt swung from my bike's handlebars, I had no worries or concerns.

Today, they sell hollow rocks to hide your house key. It looks like it belongs with all the other garden rocks. They adapted the idea from those magnetic 'key caddies', like the one you found on your bumper strut.

I used to carry a nylon key in my wallet for my Mustang. It worked well the couple times I lost my keys.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎