No announcement yet.

radiator and rear shock question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

radiator and rear shock question

First of all, I was wondering if any of you could direct me to a place where I can find a radiator for my 58. Am I out ~300 bucks on this one, or is there a cheaper route to take? The one in the car now has a pretty bad crack in it. Has anyone here had experience with repairing a radiator with a plastic welder? I've never done this or had this done on one of my cars so I'm a little cautious.

Secondly, a while back I ordered rear gas shocks from the Thunderbird headquarters. I was a bit surprised when I got em, however, because they're different from the ones in the car now mounted at 45degree angles. These have screw mounts at both ends and it seems like they are supposed to be mounted within the spring resting on the lower suspension arm. Has anyone seen these before?

thanks!
    Alex
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: radiator and rear shock question

Many radiator shops can recore your radiator if the side tanks are okay.

If both side of the rear shocks have have a stud to screw on a nut, they have probably sent you a 1959-60 Thunderbird shock by mistake.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

ME ???? Im getting ready to put a whole new front end on as soon as the weather here in Virginia breaks.......... Then its the universal joints and new air shocks. Im sure my father and I will get into some more screaming matches.........."Squarebirds, you gotta love em "

Comment

Ok, so it seems I can't return my rear gas shocks that were intended for a 59/60. The thunderbird headquarters won't take em back, even though they are incorrectly selling this part for a 58, since I took too long to notify them.

Since I'm more of a functionality over form kinda guy, I think I may just use them anyway. Does anyone see a problem with installing these in my 58? I don't have a diagram of the 59/60 suspension, but I'm assuming that these mount vertically, within the large spring. Is that correct?

thanks!
        --alex

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
          Experienced
          • Mar 31 2004

The radiator can rebuilt by a radiator shop as described above. If the side tanks are caput then maybe I can help with this one.

Send me an email at tmjsong1@aol.com

As for the wrong shocks. TBHQ should take them back no matter when you purchased them Did you pay with a credit car. If so contact them and send the crap back with return reciept so you have proof they got them. Then put the charge into contest with you card company and wait for your credit.

Not the nicest thing to do but they made the boo boo.

Fuz
          58's&64's

Comment

>The radiator can rebuilt by a radiator shop as described
            >above. If the side tanks are caput then maybe I can help
            >with this one.
            >

Fuz,
            I really appreciate the offer to help with the radiator. I did get that fixed a couple months ago, though.

--Alex

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎