X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SirBB
    Apprentice
    • Jul 7 2016

Driver shaft length with C6

Hi Guys, I went to replace the tail shaft bushing and seal on my 1960 with 352 or 390 (im still not sure) and realized the joke was only engaged into the bushing ~ 1/4". Amazing it held together, I could kick the guy who did this.

looking at the diagram and comments on other posts it looks like the original shaft should be 52", but I assume this was with the crus-o-matic, not with a C6. Does anyone have a dimension of what it should be for a C6?

My shaft measures 47 3/4" so I think a 52" would be good. I had 5 1/4" of joke exposed before removing the shaft.

Any thoughts?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

All Squarebirds had a 52" driveshaft and a 7 5/16" yolk. 1966 Thunderbirds that had a C6 used a 51 5/8" driveshaft and a 7 1/2" yolk. If 52" is a little too long then use a shorter yolk.

John
    Last edited by jopizz; August 8, 2017, 11:58 AM.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• OX1
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by jopizz
      All Squarebirds had a 52" driveshaft and a 7 5/16" yolk. 1966 Thunderbirds that had a C6 used a 51 5/8" driveshaft and a 7 1/2" yolk. If 52" is a little too long then use a shorter yolk.

John
      All with the 352??

59-430-HT

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by OX1
        The parts book doesn't show the length for the 430 drive shaft for some reason. It does have a different part number so I suspect it's not 52". I imagine 49" as it says in the thread you reference is close to correct.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• OX1
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by jopizz
          The parts book doesn't show the length for the 430 drive shaft for some reason. It does have a different part number so I suspect it's not 52". I imagine 49" as it says in the thread you reference is close to correct.

John
          Maybe that thread should be transferred somehow to TechnicalResourceLibrary, currently nothing in there about driveshafts............

Or give me all the data and any pics you have besides mine and I will write up a tech reference for it.
          59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎