This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:40 AM

Bavaria 30.si is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
I would like to see a picture of your trans dip stick. Mine is from an all original untouched car and it definitely doesn't have any rubber plug or clips. I've had dozens of Thunderbirds and I've never seen one like you describe.

John
The transmission stick referred to John, is similar to Daves, but without the expander, ie. rubber bung and inverted metal cup, looking at the picture that Dave has uploaded, showing these parts, it would appear his stick is missing the retaining clip to hold things in place, it is just possible to see the nick just above rubber bung where the retaining clip should be.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Here are some pictures of my trans dipstick. This is from an original '59. As you can see there's no rubber plug at all.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dipstick1.jpg (135.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg dipstick2.jpg (132.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg dipstick 3.jpg (107.9 KB, 49 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-11-2014, 04:57 PM

Bavaria 30.si is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that John, but you are talking 1950's, with the advent of the 1960's a whole lot of things changed, probably with the inclusion of T Bird dip sticks,.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The dipstick design changed in 1961 with part number C1AA-7A020. The pictures that Dave posted look like the 1961 dipstick with the rubber plug. Most of the squarebirds I've owned have had the same one that I posted pictures of which is part number B5A-7A020. It's possible some 60's came with the 1961 part or it was replaced at a later date. The majority of cars I've come across have had the dipstick replaced at some point so it's hard to tell what it originally came with.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

I checked both of my 1960 352's and the dipsticks were the same as John has posted. I went to the shelf and found another, but there was also one as originally pictured with the rubber seal and washers. Both designs were 23" from stop at the top to the bottom. Also significant was that the Full and Low marks are all 1 1/2" apart, not close as shown on the dipstick in question.
Carl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dipstick.JPG (58.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

If the 61 and subs dipstick is different, did the 61 cruiseomatic have different capacity specs?

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site