X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Dash light wiring

After a long hiatus, I am back on my bird's dash installation. When I bought the car, it was dead. So I have never seen the dash lights work in the first place. I have got the head lights, tail lights and brake light going without too much trouble. All the dash running lights are plain blue wires. None of which have power. My question is...where do all the blue wires get their power from? I down loaded the wiring diagram from the 60 Ford manual that Dave gave me but it is different in colors. Or does anyone know of a 60 Tbird wiring schematic?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The blue wires come off the headlight switch. It connects to the prong closest to the rheostat. It's actually a blue wire with a red connector. Is your headlight switch new? If not most likely the rheostat and the contacts are corroded. It can be taken apart and cleaned. There are wiring schematics in the Technical Resource Library.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Dash light wiring

As jopizz said, the Technical Resource Library has the wiring schematics in it for our Tbirds. You will find them right above the CHASSIS heading. Also, there are two excellent articles with pictures on troubleshooting the headlight switch. You will want to check them out. The link to the TRL is always a part of my signature element. Just click on it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
        Experienced
        • Jun 2 2010

Thank you guys. I just got in from the garage (burrr!) and did see it at the end of headlight switch. It's a lot like my 58 Chevy was. In the way that you can bend a few tabs and dismantle it.
        "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
          Experienced
          • Jun 2 2010

...oh...also...the 2 hidden fuses under the headlight switch...what do they control? Thanx in advance.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Dash light wiring

Martin, I don't recall which function the two fuses control, but that information is covered, as I recall, in the articles in the TRL on troubleshooting and cleaning the light switch. Look there and you should find that answer.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
              The blue wires come off the headlight switch. It connects to the prong closest to the rheostat. It's actually a blue wire with a red connector...
              That's right on the money. Your Blue-Red wire can look like a solid Blue with a Red connector OR Blue with a Red stripe. Ford kept this color scheme for many years. And, it is fed from the "I" (instrument panel) connector on your headlight sw.

I hope your battery is disconnected so there are no 'surprises'. A watch or ring can easily take out delicate devices like your 6-volt Constant Voltage Regulator.

Once the battery is disconnected, pull your headlight switch apart and recondition the porcelain rheostat. The center part usually turns green and stops conducting. A little sand paper will bring it back to life. Twisting the headlight knob helps to clean your rheostat. Letting it sit for fifty years usually means it won't work. Hope this helps.

The small fuse is for your backup lights. The longer one protects everything else on the headlight switch. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                Experienced
                • Jun 2 2010

Thanx Dave. I had to laugh with the watch and ring thing. When I divorced, she took the watch...problem solved. I will jump a hot wire over to that blue with red to see if that does the trick. If so, I will disconnect the battery and clean the switch.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                  Experienced
                  • Jun 2 2010

Ok...jumped hot to blue with red end and sure enough the dash lights came to life. Now to rebuild the switch. Thanx again!

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

GOOD! I love to hear success stories.
                    Martin, CLICK HERE for our Headlight Switch site.
                    I hope this helps. - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Dash light wiring

Here is the other link in case you need it.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/Headlight%20Switch%20Information%20and%20Repairs.htm

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎