Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckaroo
    Experienced
    • Jul 24 2013

I need to work on my shift linkage. Is this how far I have to take it apart to fix the shift linkage?
    Dena & Dennis Gorder
    1958 Coupe
    Registry # 3422

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

I have a lot more pics of my linkage and what I had to do to tighten it up. Everyone says you need to replace the detent shift plate, but that is only part of it. On the bottom of the steering column is a shift selector arm and on the top of the column is is the shift collar. If you really want to tighten up you shift selector, they probably all need to be replaced. If you decide it's too expensive, check each piece to see how much play it has and replace the parts that are the worst. I also made a small shim to go in the bottom of the column to tighten the end play so the shift selector arm is not so sloppy on the column shaft.
      Nyles

Comment

• Buckaroo
        Experienced
        • Jul 24 2013

Can you show us a photo of the shim you installed? I would rather not take the steering column out if I do not have to. I have replaced the detent plate and I have a new shift arm and all new bushings to install as well.
        Dena & Dennis Gorder
        1958 Coupe
        Registry # 3422

Comment

• Restifier52
          Experienced
          • Jul 26 2011

Hey Nyles, I am interested in this as well. I replaced the arm at the bottom of the column and put in a new detent plate and my shifter still moves around quite a bit between park and low.
          1960 HT
          Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
            If you are talking about the long screws that hold the steering column to the dash they are 5/16-24, 3" with a phillips head...
            John's bolt description is correct. Here's the pic:
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 31 2012

Steering column

Rick:
              I replaced the same parts and also the upper bushings which really did not seem to be bad. The lower shift arm still had a lot of play and sloppiness in the direction perpendicular to the steering shaft. I ended up using the spacer below the shift arm as a template and made a .010" brass shim equal to the rounded part of the collar. This seemed to tighten the shift arm and limit a lot of the end play. Sorry, I didn't take pics of this, but I'll attach a pic of where I put the shim. You can see the tab of the shim sticking out of the column.
              If you still have a sloppy indicator after replacing the above parts, check the shift collar at the top of the column. It has a slotted/sliding groove like the lower shift arm and if the aluminum piece gets worn, it will cause excessive play. It can be checked by having someone hold the lower shift arm, with the indicator in the neutral position, and see how much the indicator rocks side to side. If it rocks back and forth, the collar is probably worn. They sell new ones, but they are about $100. I'll attach a pic of the upper shift collar also.

\\
              Originally posted by Restifier52
              Hey Nyles, I am interested in this as well. I replaced the arm at the bottom of the column and put in a new detent plate and my shifter still moves around quite a bit between park and low.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Restifier52
                Experienced
                • Jul 26 2011

Oh so the shift collar is part 7228 in Dave's drawing? Yes, my problem is not back and forth play but side to side. I need a helper to run that test. Could a worn shift lever be part of the problem as well?
                1960 HT

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Restifier52
                  Oh so the shift collar is part 7228 in Dave's drawing? Yes, my problem is not back and forth play but side to side. I need a helper to run that test. Could a worn shift lever be part of the problem as well?
                  If you replaced the detent plate and it still moves in park then your shift lever is probably worn. However that still won't cure the movement when put in gear.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jul 31 2012

The detent plate and shift lever should give you a nice clean crisp feel when you put it in D1, D2, Park etc. If it is not firmly latching or engaging when when put in park, I would look at also replacing the shift lever. When you are in neutral, if the shift collar and indicator moves excessively when going into reverse or D1 and feels really sloppy, then I would do the test and determine if the shift collar has a lot of play in it. It took a while, but I finally have mine lining properly with the shift indicator and all the detent positions are firm and lock in place properly. And yes, the shift collar is the 7228 part illustrated.

Comment

• Restifier52
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 26 2011

Sounds like the collar. It locks quite nicely into Park and Low, but I can move laterally in all the other gears. Ah, it never ends. Wouldn't give it up for a minute, though.
                      1960 HT

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎