Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi
    I've signed my husband up for this site. He's not real computer savvy so I dont' know how much he'll use it. But, I may stop by from time to time and hopefully, I'll get him comfotable to communicate.

A little background about why I'm here. We have a 1969 T-bird with less than 10,000 original miles on it. Near pristine interior, deteriorating original paint job but no rust except for a few bocks where the paint has worn down.

Its my husband's price and joy. When he first got it, he searched the web for information, places to find parts and advice and was pretty unsuccessful so he finally gave up. In poking around here, this group seems pretty active so I'm hoping this will prove to be a good fit for him/us.

I'm looking for 2 things for the car: interior floor mats (for a christmas present) and the wing nut that holds the spare tire. I dont' know where to look or who in the virtual marketplace is reputable. Can anyone help with that?

Secondly, we keep going back and for on a decision to paint the car or not. Some say because of the condition of the car it may be more "valuable" to leave the orignial paint. Othere's say a good paint job will increase its value. Any opinions?

I realize that this post may be in the totally wrong place but I'm hoping the moderators or members will be able to help guide me around a little until I get familiar with the lay of the land. AAMOF, I may not be able to get back to this post to see if there have been any replies. lol

So, if I've broken or bent any rules, I'd appreciate someone letting me know.
    Thanks
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

RE: newbie

Hi
    Welcome to the site!
    You might try TBird Sanctuary http://www.tbirdsanctuary.com
    for some of your parts needs.

I think it's cool you guys have a '69 Bird. I've always liked those - especially the front end! You don't see these cars very often and people aren't very familiar with them.

As far as repaint vs original, I vote for repaint. If you had a very rare and unique car with some historical significance, then perhaps you would leave it original. However, our TBirds just aren't that rare - Ford made a lot of 'em even if not many of them are still around. A repaint won't hurt the value of your car.
    I'm also restoring a 53 Olds 4-door that has original paint. I bought the car to drive and have some fun so it will get a repaint after Santa brings me some more car funds It isn't a terribly rare or unique car, just a low mileage survivor like yours.

Do you drive it often or is it purely a show car?

You'll like this site as there are a lot of very friendly and knowledgable people here who are eager to help out.

come back often.

Casey

Comment

RE: newbie

Hi Casey
      Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling I'd landed in the right place this time. I showed my husband the site today. Hopefully he'll be around soon instead of me.

Thanks for advice on the paint job. We're actually in agreement. But, I'll need a serious change in the financial future to get it done.

I'll try the sanctuary for the parts. Thanks for that too.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎