No announcement yet.

Engine apart and ready for clean up!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine apart and ready for clean up!

Well I got lucky finally on the exhaust manifold fasteners. As you guys know I had a blow right bank exhaust manifold gasket and was trying to remove the manifold from the head but broke all four top bolts in the process.

But the lucky part is that the four on the bottom came out with little or no effort. So now all I haft to do is drill and tap those four bolt holes and put the engine back together!!!!

Interesting fact is that the cylinder walls and valves are in great shape but like any old engine lots of crud and grim under the intake manifold area. So I will just clean up that area and sanitize the rest of engine as long as I have it apart.

It took me about three hours to have the top of the engine apart and at parade rest (not bad for a 63 young man). Now tomorrow I will re tap those broken oft fastners and start to reassembling the engine.

Well this operation is just going along good. Tonight I went outside and decided to drill and tap those broken oft bolts and I had 100% luck with all four bolt holes. But of course I have had a little practice in the past with doing this particular job as I was a Marine Machinist for over 38 years. So this drill and tap job was a peice of cake but now about the old back thats another story. So now to take a good pain pill and say goodnight!

Comment

Good job.The last time I atempted that job (on a 69 Mustang)I drilled right into the water jacket.So when I snapped off the bolt that holds the battery ground on,I decided to take it to the pros.The generator probs got the best of me anyway.I let the shop fix both probs and save me back for winnable fights.LOL

Comment

Lead pencil saves a US Submarine

Kind of an interesting story about drilling.

As part of my job was to work on Nuclear Submarines and when there in the water at pier side they take all kinds of preparations for not losing there water tight intergate. Subs are made to sink so you haft to watch out that you do not cause anything for this to happen.

Well one evening not me but someone else had to drill some 1/4" holes in one of the compartments. Well like I said befor you haft to go through all kind of **** to do anything on board on one these boats when there pier side. So on this occasion they did there best but some how they got oft there marks for drilling and puncher-ed a Main Ballast Tank. Those are the tanks that hold the air that keep the boat afloat! Probably will have about 10 Psi of air in them. So as soon as this person ran his drill through the hull and into this tank air just started to rush out. Not much but a steady stream and so as I heard the guy just took out his lead pencil and jammed into that hole and got help! Boy did the **** hit the fan but that pencil as I looked at it saved the ship from sinkining. Just another story and of course lots of heat meeting to see how this could have ever happened. Jon

Comment

• 6TB1RD
          Experienced
          • Apr 9 2006

John:
          I have to ask this I noticed that you live in the great state of WA. in Bremerton to be exact, I know this un-canny because of your post but do you by chance work at the ship yard? I spent 6 years at the Navel Ship yard Bremerton Wa. Carrier duty you know. I’m still trying to figure out why something that big does not sink, or why anyone in there right mind wants to be on something that is made to sink (not my idea of a fun job.) USS Constellation (Connie) and the USS Carl Vincent (good ole Chucky V) I worked with the Catapult crew. I lived in Port Orchard Loved that place, Wa. is one of them states that once you have been there you never want to leave! Any way wow nice world hay good chat.
          George (Papa of 9)
          1960 H/T :rolleyes:
          Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
          sigpic

Comment

Yep I worked on both of those boats but never spent to much time up on the cats. I was mostly down in engineering or aux equipment. Yep you sure can't beat this area when it not raining as it is just beautiful up here in the summer. Jon

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎