Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 62 bullitt
    • Jul 21 2009

starting issues

My 62 is giving me problems when starting, sometimes I get nothing (not turning over) and then just start after a while, other times it will turn over but then stop like if it's draining the battery. I checked the battery and it's charging, how do I check my starter. It's definately an electrical issue not mechanical. Need help!!!!!
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

You have a starter relay. What happens when you jump both big lugs together with one jumper cable? Does it start better?

Did you check your battery and ground connections? It takes TWO wires to complete a circuit.

If you get the same results after trying these suggestions, unbolt your starter motor and either fix it yourself or bring it in to an Auto Electric shop (they can test your starter and they guarantee their work).

Hope this helps. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 62 bullitt
      • Jul 21 2009

Thanks Dave, someone's already suggested I check my wiring and solenoid first. Haven't been able to do anything yet (raining the past week in Fl) shade tree mechanic. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks.

Comment

• 62 bullitt
        • Jul 21 2009

Took off and cleaned up my wiring (battery to ground, solenoid and solenoid to starter, generator) which appeared to be clean but apparently wasn't and all is good now, thanks again Dave.

Comment

• 62 bullitt
          • Jul 21 2009

It started doing it again but I think I figured it out might be my detent plate, it starts right up everytime when I hold the shift lever up. Think the detent plate is wearing down, not poping out of gear but slips just enough to where the car won't start.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Your Neutral Switch can and should be adjusted.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 62 bullitt
              • Jul 21 2009

Can you brief me on this? Didn't know I could adjust just thought you bOught a new plate.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

The detent plate is a mechanical device that locks your shift lever into Park. As things wear over time, the mechanicals get sloppy which can cause your lever to slip into Reverse from the Park position. If yours is 'getting there', buy and install a new detent plate.

Your car also has an electrical switch that senses when your lever is in Park or Neutral. In those positions, the Neutral Switch allows current to your starter solenoid if you turn the key to Start.

The Neutral Switch is also used for folks with convertible tops. There is a screw adjustment on this switch, which allows contact closure ranging from, 'a little early' to 'a little late' as you cycle the shift lever. ALL automatics have a Neutral Switch (even new cars).

I hope this helps. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 62 bullitt
                  • Jul 21 2009

Thanks again Dave, you've been really helpful. Is the neutral switch in the same area as the detent plate?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Nooooo... it's farther down the steering column, but before it reaches the firewall. Look about half way down on the right for part number 7A247. That's the Neutral Switch. There are two part numbers because the 4-terminal is for the convertible.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
                      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      The detent plate is a mechanical device that locks your shift lever into Park. As things wear over time, the mechanicals get sloppy which can cause your lever to slip into Reverse from the Park position. If yours is 'getting there', buy and install a new detent plate.
                      And check the end of your shift-lever where it fits into your detent.

The shifter is (generally) 'softer' than the detent and it is that which seems to have the most wear.
                      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• 62 bullitt
                        • Jul 21 2009

Dave, you ARE a wise man. Found the source of my headaches, the Safety Switch did not need to be adjusted but the contacts were severely corroded. Cleaned it up very carefully and all is okay until I order a new one. Thanks again for everything, JP

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎