Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

This thread has gotten a lot of attention, and that's probably expected since our old Birds have a tendancy to run hot.
    I did purchase one of the expensive fan shrouds in an effort to maximize cooling. When I installed the shroud, the fan was totally located inside of the shroud. I bought a 1/2" spacer to replace the 1 1/4" spacer that is stock, and it positioned the fan pretty close to where it is recommended.
    It does appear that the air flow is improved, however, still not optimal. The temperature differential across the radiator is about 35F which is pretty good. I'm still going to work on a few more things. I'll attach some picture to show where the fan is located using a 1/2" spacer. The spacer was from flex a lite and the part number is FLX-836. It took me a while to find the correct spacer. This may be some good information for anyone that bought an aftermarket shroud.
    Nyles
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tbird1044; August 5, 2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• pbf777
      Experienced
      • Jan 9 2016

Which fan blade assy. are you using? Thank you, Scott.

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

It is the stock 5 bladed fan that came on the cars with AC. I tried using a flex fan that I had, but couldn't get side clearance to the shroud. It may have been the wrong sized fan.
        Nyles

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

Went out and played a little more today with the cooling system. Topped off the coolant level and drove the car around for a while to see how hot it would get. With the AC on full, driving around the temp gauge went about 1/2 way. Pulled it in the garage and let it run for another 10 minutes with the AC still on and the temp went up between the M and P on the gauge. I checked the radiator temps with a temp gun and had about 196F on the coolant tank and radiator inlet and about 185F on the suction side of the radiator. The outside ambient temperature was 85F while I had the car running.
          I'm going to drive the car for a while and see how it responds. I think my next step would be to go to a 6 bladed fan vs. the 5 blade that is currently on the car.
          More to come.
          Nyles

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Tbird1044
            ...if we go to an electric fan, you also need to convert and install a 100 amp alternator. It seems you can never just change ONE thing....
            True dat. Because the 100 amp alternator is harder to turn, belt squeal may develop, and you may find it necessary to use larger pulleys or convert to a serpentine system. Then you need to feed the fan with a large fuse and use a 40 amp fuse to feed your ammeter or original fuse panel.Also, you'll need a controller for the fan...

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Tbird1044
              Went out and played a little more today with the cooling system. Topped off the coolant level and drove the car around for a while to see how hot it would get. With the AC on full, driving around the temp gauge went about 1/2 way. Pulled it in the garage and let it run for another 10 minutes with the AC still on and the temp went up between the M and P on the gauge. I checked the radiator temps with a temp gun and had about 196F on the coolant tank and radiator inlet and about 185F on the suction side of the radiator. The outside ambient temperature was 85F while I had the car running.
              I'm going to drive the car for a while and see how it responds. I think my next step would be to go to a 6 bladed fan vs. the 5 blade that is currently on the car.
              More to come.
              Nyles

Those temps seem alright to me, still a bit below boiling so why considering a 6-blade?.
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

HOW TO KEEP YOUR ENGINE COOL. Found this article on the net and thought it had enough good info to pass it along. It compares a lot of the electric fans out there and explains some of the differences. Also mentions several radiator manufactures and what they are doing to maximize cooling. Anyway, here is a link:

Nyles

Comment

• tbird430
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 18 2007

In my 430cid '60 model, I also run a product called "Water Wetter". It mixes in with coolant/distilled water mixture. It helps to prevent hot spots & heat soak.

-Jon in TX.
                  sigpic
                  The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Woobie
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by Daleo56
                    We took the Thunderbird out for a shakedown cruise this weekend. Prior to changing the ignition system I wanted to get an idea of performance and mileage. We have a standard route but the wife and I take. It is 40 miles of freeway 20 miles of sidestreets and another 40 freeway coming home. We also stopped for a quick breakfast during the route to give those car time to cool down.

It is hard to tell with the stock temperature gauge but I believe I ran around 200° the first half of the trip. After a quick stop for food we started again and I seemed to run slightly hotter. By the time we got home the engine was running even warmer at around 210 degrees. The weather outside was 80+ degrees with 75% humidity. After we got back to the shop and parked at about a quart came out of the overflow hose. The temperature laser at that point read 220 at the thermostat housing since I had access to the reader at the shop.

We had never gone more than a few miles around town prior to this so I have no comparison for temperatures or performance.

After letting it sit for a couple of hours I remove the 14 pound cap and started the engine to watch water flow. The thermostat open at 180, which was a new thermostat I had put in a couple of months ago , and the flow seemed OK. It never got above 185 or so idling at the shop.

There was a prior long thread by a member name rock-and-roll where Dave mentioned all the things to check and they seem to be OK. I have no frame of reference for degrees or heat for this type of engine but that seems a little warm.

Anyway I am going to install a Milodon 16406 thermostat and add a transmission cooler to see if that helps. The fan and radiator are stock and clean. The water pump does not leak. The compression is the same on all cylinders and there are no bubbles or smells in the water. Yes, I am running 100% water since we changed the intake gaskets. I have been waiting for a test run before I add coolant.

Tim
                    Hi.

The mild overheating may be caused by corrosion of the water flow block-off built in to the head gaskets. I'll see if Yellow Rose would be willing to post an emailed photo.

Here are the 2 pix that Woobie sent me to post.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by YellowRose; August 14, 2016, 03:25 PM. Reason: Posted Pix
                    Austin

Comment

• scumdog
                      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

You may have already mentioned it, if so sorry but what is you ignition timing set at?
                      Too retarded and it will cause overheating.
                      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 28 2004

Update on this;
                        This last wk/end we had the Natn'l Good Guys show here at the Alameda Co. Fairgrounds. I didn't make it to the show (had to wk Sat etc etc) I did make it to downtown Pleasanton Sat nite. WOW!!! Was it packed !!! 35 min to go just over one mile.
                        Went up, drove around other parts of town, then drove back.
                        35 min idling each way. Never got hot. Gauge was at the middle. When I had my rad cap/gauge that was 195-200 (I do need real gauges!!)
                        It was mid-hi 70s that night. That gauge would have been PEGGED before.
                        SO, that 7 blade with the shroud works!!

Originally posted by byersmtrco
                        On mine, the shroud really helped.
                        I've got a 4-Row radiator. I don't know that the eng
                        oil gets all that hot. I'm think a trans cooler would really
                        help. All the newer cars come w/those. Mostly trucks &
                        vans come with extn'l eng oil coolers too.

I've been out on some pretty hot days. I've never seen that
                        gauge go past the middle. About 1/3 over is 180 deg (just in the E in TEMP. I had a rad cap with a gauge in it for awhile just so I'd know.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎