Steering box swap?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A390GT
    • Aug 16 2013

The power box seemed (to me) as an easier swap than a rack system. Done it many of pontiacs of mine.
    I't a fun puzzle that I will try to figure out. If not ill put back all of the old stuff and the old man can suffer... :-)
    I can't post pics for some reason.
    I think they had an off day and sent me the wrong stuff

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Here are some pics of a clean steering box conversion that worked. I'm not sure what column John is going to use with the new box, other than it will be a tilt column.
      Nyles
      Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Steering box swap?

A390GT, when you joined this Forum, I posted a Welcome to you in the New Members Welcoming Forum. Perhaps you did not read it last year.. Here is what it said about posting pix.

If you have any you want to share with us you can post them directly on our server as a Paid Member. To become one, have a PayPal account and click on the Donate to Site button at the top right of this Forum. Or you can create an account on one of the free picture hosting websites, upload your pictures there and post the link to them in Our Rides Forum. Or you can send them to me or Dave Dare, our webmaster ~ simplyconnected and we will post them for you. When you post pictures please set them for 800x600 size for better viewing on the Forum.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• A390GT
          • Aug 16 2013

I think half my problem is I'm trying to use this forum on my iPhone. My laptop apparently belongs to my 4 year old now...

Yellow rose do I pm to you or can you send me your e-mail?

Hopefully Pedro will be back tomorrow and we will figure out where I've gone wrong.

T-bird nice setup... That's what I'm hoping the end result will look like.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Steering box swap?

John, yes, you might be having a problem because of using the iPhone. If you have pix you would like me to post for you, send them to me. You SHOULD be seeing my signature element on any post I make. In that signature element is my email address. In case you cannot see it, you can email me at yellowrose@squarebirds.org

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Can you get another screw in the firewall bracket? This one scares me:

I like the idea of turning 90 degrees but Squarebirds with A/C can't use it. Hey, maybe '55-'57 birds can...
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Restifier52
                Experienced
                • Jul 26 2011

Firewall Bracket

Looks like it's supposed to be there but isn't for some reason. Maybe just didn't get to it yet. The hole and spacer are there.
                1960 HT
                Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Steering box swap?

Here are the 3 pix that A390GT sent me. The second one shows the backside to frame adapter plate. The third one shows the only number stamped on the steering box.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Dec 23 2008

I like the idea of turning 90 degrees but Squarebirds with A/C can't use it. Hey, maybe '55-'57 birds can...
                    I thought the same thing when I saw the picture but there is no way to get that much bulk in that area unless the battery is relocated to the trunk or to the heater blower area. I have manual disk brakes and although the pedal effort may be a bit high, its like getting used to driving a car with manual steering after years of power steering. "Someday" I will get around to having the original fender mounted booster rebuilt and reconnected.

Comment

• A390GT
                      • Aug 16 2013

Update.
                      Called and sent pics to Pedro at abs.
                      Apparently they sent me all the parts for the first gen thunderbird. I'll take some pics when new stuff comes in for comparison.
                      John-

Comment

• 619Square
                        Apprentice
                        • Aug 20 2009

Any luck with the new parts / pics??

Just checking!!
                        Last edited by 619Square; August 2, 2014, 06:21 PM.
                        --------------------------------
                        1960 Thunderbird
                        Been in my family since 1961
                        Portland, OR

Comment

• A390GT
                          • Aug 16 2013

Well the new parts came in last week, tried to install the new power box this weekend but it still doesn't work. There just isn't enough room between the frame and exhaust manifold on the 352.
                          I'm going to call up abs today and try to figure something out.
                          Ill send some pics to yellowrose
                          I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back to the power ram setup.
                          But,
                          I was able to get the drivers side window in
                          Man what a supreme pain in the *** it is to repair the window channel felt... Insane

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by A390GT
                            The power box seemed (to me) as an easier swap than a rack system...
                            You may want to rethink this. Rack gears need enough room for a steering shaft. The rest tucks behind the #2 crossmember with two upright 1/4" plates that should bolt into your original steering gear mounting holes. I believe rack gears are less expensive, too. It seems every parts store has replacement/rebuilt rack gears on the shelf.

Steering with a rack gear is tighter with no steering wheel 'hunting'.

Check out this Squarebird setup: CLICK HERE.
                            This is a good shot of the steering shaft...

I had a funny feeling, when Poncho didn't have pictures of his setup, that he probably never did the swap. This Squarebird R&P project has pictures that are easy to see. - Dave
                            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Steering box swap?

Here are the pix that A390GT sent me.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• pcjr
                                Apprentice
                                • Aug 27 2012

That is the same box I have on my conversion. IF it is any consolation or option for you, it will work with headers. ABS did supply all the parts for my swap which was installed a little over a year ago. From memory, here are all the things that needed to be done:

1. Steering column shortened
                                2. Shifting arm and linkage to transmission modified
                                3. Steering shaft was splined
                                4. Universal joint installed
                                5. Pitman arm modified to accept splines of new box

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎