Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Don't use the starter motor. Use a big screwdriver and 'inch' the flex plate teeth around. Sometimes you will hear the torque converter's center hub pop into the flex plate. That's normal. Until that happens, rotate everything by hand.

At the factory, they offer the whole trans to the back of the engine, then they proceed exactly the same way you're doing it. Using any other method will increase the chances of breaking things. You're doing it right if you don't force anything. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• mt59bird
      Apprentice
      • Feb 10 2011

^^ Thanks.

I used a small flat blade screw driver to rotate the enging to get to the other two bolts. Buttoned it up and filled the trans with fluid.

It was a PITA to put it in as one but it all worked out. It drives and shifts great. Nice and tight. NO LEAKS! Changed the oil in the engine also. Starts right up. The only thing that bothers me is the power brakes seem fair. I'll have to address that next.

Thanks for the info.

Mike
      E PLURIBUS UNUM; In GOD We Trust; Liberty

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

And, another smashing success! Mike, I'm glad you came out with everything working and no leaks. That's our goal as well.

Your trans takes about 11 quarts of fluid or so, and it just won't all go in at once so check your trans fluid every ten minutes of running time for the first 100 miles. Air comes out from everywhere, leaving the level low.

You know how fragile the front seal is. Mating the trans with the torque converter already mounted to the flex plate can turn disasterous real fast. Everything must be in perfect alignment with no mistakes. That doesn't happen when trying to jockey a heavy trans on an angle. I have seen pieces break off and ruin trans internals. Other times the seal will be compromised, then you're back to square one.

At the factory, a guy hoisted an engine out of a rack and hung it on a moving monorail. Then they put the appropriate flywheel/pilot bearning or flexplate on the crank. Another guy would grab a trans from another rack and while the monorail is still moving, he married the two. One per minute.

The torque converter turns easily until it's mounted. Even so, the worker had to jack the flywheel around by hand, to install and tighten all four nuts. They ALL came out right, 450 times per shift. Of course after doing hundreds of these, assembly line workers make it look real easy, like a rhapsody with no wasted motions.

When you get ready to do your brakes, we have loads of info for you. Even when Squarebirds were new, their shoe brakes were terrible at best. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎