Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jandjinfla
    • May 18 2014

matching paint color for metal interior parts

I have a 1960 T-Bird Convt. with Red Interior some of the metal pieces like the piece that houses the map light is scratched. There are also some scratches in the console. All I can find are coatings for vinyl. Do they make a paint to match for the metal parts and if so where can I buy some ?
    Thanks,
    Joe
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The console is vinyl covered metal so you should use vinyl spray on it. You can use vinyl spray on the metal parts too. I've done it for years and it looks and holds up just fine.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• jandjinfla
      • May 18 2014

Thanks, John for the quick response.
      Do the colors match well ?

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

I think if you go to an automotive paint store that carries SEM products, they can custom mix vinyl paint to match your interior.
        Along the same lines, the metal piece that goes above the back seat and also the package tray have the vinyl covering cracked and peeling. Has anyone had any good experiences with recovering these pieces? I talked to an upholstery shop and they said they could recover it, but all of their vinyls are cloth backed, which I think would make it more difficult. The vinyl covering the metal appears to be only vinyl that was glued on.
        Nyles

Comment

• del
          Retired Expert Enthusiast
          • May 11 2010

SEM Color Coat

I used this on my package tray and the piece in front of it and it looks great. I used a spray prep cleaner, a soft scrub pad and lots of rags to get them clean before the paint.

The paint came with the car from the PO. It had been used to paint the dash pad when it was replaced. I'm tempted to try to use it on the shoulders of my front seat backs.
          Attached Files
          Regards,
          Don Vincent
          Amherst NY
          1960 HT 352
          TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by jandjinfla
            Thanks, John for the quick response.
            Do the colors match well ?
            Trying to match an interior that's been out in the sun for 50+ years is pretty difficult. You can take a sample of your interior to an auto paint shop and they will match it as close as they can but the various pieces tend to fade differently so you will never get an exact match for everything. As suggested I would try the SEM Portola Red and see how close it is. You may wind up spraying more than just the console and the radio access panel.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎