Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

I know what I know and also know what I don't know. What the heck is the HX transmission? The only reference I've ever seen for it is in the VTCI standards, and a reference to it here. Google does not even come up with it as a transmission, and I can't find it in my Ford manuals. Could the authors of the Standards meant to say "MX"?
    Some help with something I don't know please.
    Carl

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by partsetal

I know what I know and also know what I don't know.
      Well, you are a jump ahead of me...

What the heck is the HX transmission? The only reference I've ever seen for it is in the VTCI standards, and a reference to it here.

Google does not even come up with it as a transmission, and I can't find it in my Ford manuals. Could the authors of the Standards meant to say "MX"?

Some help with something I don't know please.

Carl
      The FORD CRUISEOMATIC Trans Series (1958-1967 ) came in three different capacities-

The FX- STD/LIGHT DUTY

The MX- HD

The HX (also called the LX)- Extreme HD

The HX is cataloged under MX in the MPC. It is (I previously thought) LINC specific- well it was from 1961/1965) but have discovered an early version was also used on LINC, MERC, BIRD and possibly EDSEL with MEL engine applications (1958-1960).

I am searching now for period correct references for the 1955-1960 period to research it further. Thought I had it nailed down but I was mistaken.

Comment

• GTE427
        Super-Experienced
        • Oct 9 2007

Just realized that I had these images. The casting pic isn't the best, believe it to be MP 7006A. This trans came from a 1960 430 Thunderbird with a build date of 12-16-59.
        Attached Files
        Ken
        1959 J Convertible
        1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Engine replacement

Ken, do you mind if I grab those pix and put a copy of them in the 430MEL Tranny picture gallery? I only have one or two pix of Tbird trannys so far and would love to have more. For those of you (which is most of you!) who have not discovered the NEW Thunderbirds & Big Fords Picture Gallery, You will find it in the General Discussion section down below, right below Our Rides.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• GTE427
            Super-Experienced
            • Oct 9 2007

Ray, by all means, feel free to use any images I've posted past or in the future. I also think there may be many photos that Bart has posted that may be of use, he was very attentive in posting engine photos during his rebuild.
            Ken
            1959 J Convertible
            1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Engine replacement

Hi Ken,

Thank you! I am using many of the pictures I have from Bart to display an original 1960 430MEL Squarebird. Also, I have his engine and tranny overhaul pix and am using them in the 430MEL Engine gallery. I hope ya'll are enjoying the new picture gallery. There are a lot of pix I could add to them if I had them! Just fire away at me with your pix and I will add them to the permanent gallery.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
                Experienced
                • Jun 2 2010

Well...I thought I would follow up since I started the thread here. The engine came out and I still have all my body parts (mine, not the cars). The engine builder found one pistola slightly stuck and another totally stuck to the point after 2 hours of magic marvel oil and heat and a little drifting finally came loose. He felt that at some point someone had been inside since the cam and rockers looked brand new. the engine rebuild will be around $5600. It's on hold until I can drum up some work. In the mean time, I have a lot of detailing to do...
                Attached Files
                "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• KULTULZ

Please allow me to add this update regarding the TRANSMISSION Series used on the 58/60 BIRD.

(Posted Originally Within The Below Thread-

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=14727 )

Originally posted by KULTULZ Posted 03/20/2013 POST # 13

Just a note here-

CRUISEOMATIC was mostly a marketing term.

While the FX (1958 to 1967) was actually named the CRUISEOMATIC,

...the 352 (58/60) BIRD came through with the heavier MERCOMATIC MULTI-DRIVE (MX - Dual Range) (PBL SERIES)

...while the 430 (59/60) BIRD actually came through with the LINC DUAL TURBO TRANS (HX - Dual Range) PBB SERIES.

The HX was again upgraded in 1961 for the LINC 430 only.

I will send diagrams to Ray.
                  This is info I have only recently come across and wanted to enter it within this thread so future SEARCH will see the correct facts rather than my earlier conjectures...

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by GTE427

Just realized that I had these images. The casting pic isn't the best, believe it to be MP 7006A. This trans came from a 1960 430 Thunderbird with a build date of 12-16-59.
                    The CASTING I.D. NO. should read- C0MP 7006 A for a 1960 HX main case (C0MP was then a Service Parts Replacement for the 58/59 HX.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Martin, 90% of 'restoration' work is in de-rusting and preparing parts for paint.

This looks far worse than it really is. I would save myself some money by marking (with a stamp) and disassembling the engine, bagging the bolts and parts in 'compartments', and stripping the block to 'bare' with no plugs. The machine shop can easily take internal and external rust off for you.

If you are stripping the heads, separate the valves, rocker arms, pushrods, and lifters together for each position. (Replace your springs. They cost a quarter each.) Same goes with pistons, rods and caps.

Count your parts as you hand them over and write the number on the receipt (xx-pcs received).

Take hundreds of pictures as you go. If you have questions, we're here, my friend. - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by orwin

Hmmm...

Further study of the Ford master parts book and VTCI specification book section 7.3.6 shows the part numbers for the '60 AT's as:

352-4v Cruise-O-Matic/MX PBL 7003-AH or PBL 7003-AG
                        430-4v Cruise-O-Matic/MX PBL 7003-M or PBL 7003-AF

That would imply they are all MX's just as KULTULZ says.

However, in the VTCI book there are also several photos and refrences to the HX used with the 430 (both 59 and 60).

The data tag is missing on my tranny but the case is 10-7/8" which matches the size for an HX.

Can anyone shed more light on this? Were HX transmissions used in some 430 birds? If it was a "field replacement" by a tranny shop sometime in the distant past, wouldn't there be a problem with the driveshaft length? Seems I'm not the only one with an HX.
                        There must be an incorrect entry in the VTCI. The 430 MX (cataloged under MX but actually an HX as all parts are referenced by engine series).

I will again ask Ray to include 60/64 MPC pages showing how FORD identified and cataloged the two different transmissions.

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Engine replacement

Here is the information that Gary asked me to upload. I will also put it into the TRL. You can increase the size of the graphic by hitting CTRL and the + sign, decrease it by CTRL and - sign.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...81960%29_1.jpg

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...81960%29_2.jpg

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...81960%29_3.jpg

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Engine replacement

Here is some additional information on our transmissions that Gary sent me.

"It is confusing. FORD, for some reason, decided not to list separately (in it's own parts list) the LINC specific HX (LX) in their MPC (FORD - LINC-MERC - EDSEL having their own separate MPC), the HX being listed within the MX parts list (engine specific application). It (HX) came attached with every 430 BIRD, their coming off the same assembly line as the LINC (WIXOM) (LINC using the HX on it's complete line) (The 430 being LINC sourced - different calibration).

When you go into 60/64 MPC for instance, the C/M TYPE in A70.3 (third page I sent you), Basic PN 7005 (main case) is cataloged under 60 /BIRD (S) as B8AZ 7005-F (352 MX) and C0MP 7005-R (430 MX). The 430 MX is actually the LINC HX.

Remember the I.D. illustrations I sent you earlier (attached)? They are discerned from one another by case length and/or Assembly Tag I.D. (Ray's Comment: As I recall, the 430 MX/LINC HX has the longer case length).

the MX is actually the MERC-O-MATIC MULTI-DRIVE. It is the mid-case.

The 59/60 430 MX is actually the TWIN-TURBO HX. The MX was introduced in the mid-fifties and the HX in 1958.

The MEL Engine Series was introduced in 1958."

Hopefully, this information will help explain a lot of things about the Squarebird tranny situation.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎