Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zgolson
    • Nov 12 2012

Lowering 1960 Tbird

I am looking to lower my 1960 hardtop. I was thinking coilover springs or air ride however, I cannot find an application for the 1960 Bird. I have searched the internet, made phone calls and still cant find the solution without big modifications. Can anyone help?
  • pcjr
    Apprentice
    • Aug 27 2012

Hello Zack,

I was just at the shop doing my bodywork and suspension today. They are very experienced at air bag and suspension work. We spent a good month of research, discussion and some conceptual design. After all was said and done we settled on a full custom designed and fabricated system. If you are looking for just a few inches of drop that is pretty easily accomplished with springs and dropped axles in the front and spring re-arcing and possibly a set of blocks in the rear. Problem is ride quality going this route.

I am going for a full drop when parked yet still be able to program in a proper height to get decent ride quality. To accomplish this we will use 2" drop spindles in the front, modified lower A arms to use ride-tech shockwave integrated air bag/shocks. The rear is much more involved t do properly. We will be building a rear subframe assembly, modify the floorpan under the rear seats to mount rear axle lower control arms and a triangulated upper link arm to eliminate the need for a panhard rod. Shockwaves will be used on the rear as well. The transmission tunnel needs to be modified and the spare tire well needs to be reworked for additional ground clearance.
    The control system utilizes sensors to control ride height.

Definately not for the squeamish but its the look I want, is properly engineered and safe.

If you need any help with what you would need to go with a more conservative system let me know and I will be glad to help you. One thing can say is you would be very pleased with the ride of a properly bagged suspension. Its comparable with a modern day luxury car.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by pcjr

The rear is much more involved t do properly. We will be building a rear subframe assembly, modify the floorpan under the rear seats to mount rear axle lower control arms and a triangulated upper link arm to eliminate the need for a panhard rod.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎