Engine number

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine number

Hi,
    Where is the (unique) engine serial number located on the 352 cid block for a 1960 engine? Was it located in the same place 1958? Thanks!

• Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Engine number

The production number is stamped into one of the four machined bosses just below the cylinder head. It tells you the production date of the engine.

The casting number is a raised number that is on front of the block, often on the passenger side. For 1958 it should read "5751091" For 1959 and 1960 it should read B9AE-B for a 352 engine with hydraulic lifters. These number can be very hard to get to as mine were hidden by the A/C compressor bracketry.

This is from Steve Christ's book "How to Rebuild Your Big-Block Ford."

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I find the production number on the front boss, driver side. It was hidden by paint

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Post the number. I might be able to decode it.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

The number on the left front boss is: 3-OE18B. There is also a digit 3 after the letter B that looks different, thicker and very ground. I don’t think the digit belongs there. The E could possibly being a F.

The other number I found on the block, just above the rear end of the generator on the passenger side, is B 9 A E 8 0 1 5 B. The B’s could possibly being 8’s. On this side of the block there were also this raised “number”: O E 12:4.

When I search for numbers I noticed this numbers on the converter housing: .OA 27: and
          P B M 7 9 7 6 A.

I would be thankful to have the numbers decoded.

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

The 352 cid engine is supposed to come with the medium case Cruise-O-Matic. The guide here http://www.autotran.us/fmkits1.html#...1%20Fordomatic states that PBM is a small case transmission. You can check for the tag on the side as shown at http://www.autotran.us/fmABpg21.htm .

As for the block number B9AE 8015 B, the B9AE-B checks out in Steve Christ's book as 352 cid for 1959-60. Are you sure that the 8015 is not a 6010? 6010 is the group number for an engine block assembly.

I can't decode the date code on the block that you gave: 3-OE18B .

Perhaps someone else has better information.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks the information.
              The 8015 could be 6015. It’s hard to see that the 5 is a 0. Does 6015 exist as a group number?

The other number on the machined left front boss could be 3-0F18B, 39F18B or 3-9E18B. There is only the upper half of what I think is a zero or eventually a 9.

Do the small case transmissions have the same shaped oil pan gasket as the medium case? I bought a gasket kit, including filter for the medium case transmission, and the gasket fitted the pan exactly.

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

I could not find a group number 6015 listed in the 1949-59 Ford "Blue Books."

Motors repair guide lists different oil pan gaskets for two and four barrel Fords and another one for Lincolns with Cruise-O-Matics, so I assume that the small, medium and large case transmissions used different oil pan gaskets. Can anyone else confirm this?

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks again Alexander. I think the most important for me is that the engine seems to be a B9AE-B. Do you have any example how the date code on the block is constructed?

Transmission case. Is it possible that someone have mounted a medium case on a converter house that belongs to a small case transmission?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎