Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lake bird
    • Jan 8 2013

starter still spins

Starter still spinnig after retracting off the flywheel, new starter solinoid, ignition switch, headlight switch...wiring looks correct...there is a slight voltage 4.5 v across the ign start term to the starter term on the new starter soloniod ?

maybe another soloniod or ignition switch change out, ign sw terms seemed wat to loose for a new MAC's unit....
  • yellow98cobra
    Experienced
    • May 28 2012

I have had my ignition switch out several times and on one ocassion I got it back in tilted and the the key would not return all the way from the start position back to the ON position and my starter continued to spin
    Yellow98Cobra
    1960 Thunderbird HT
    Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
    There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
    http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Put a test light on the solenoid post that comes from the ignition switch (red/blue wire) and see if the light goes out when you release the key. If not then your switch is bad or not wired correctly. When you replaced the ignition switch did you check the lettering on the posts. The last new switch I got the posts were in different places from the original switch. I wired it the same instead of checking and had a similar problem.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

I am testing my memory, which can be dangerous, but if you are talking about the ign. terminal on the starter solenoid, I could see how this would have a lower voltage reading when running. The ign. terminal on the solenoid was designed to put full voltage to the ignition coil/points momentarily when the starter is engaged. There is a resistor wire going to the coil, to drop voltage and make the points last longer, so this circuit would bypass the resistor wire. It would make sense that you are reading this lower voltage when the car is running as that would be ignition voltage. I never checked this, but one day I will to verify.
        Nyles

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎