Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Carter
    • Apr 9 2015

Trunk lid lock 1966

Hi Everbody.....just before the Syracuse Nationals we encountered a problem with the trunk lid lock. The linkage came off the lock cylinder. I have removed the back seat, and because the trunk has been restored, I can't get the spare tire off. Does any one have any suggestions how I can get to the latch to release it. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Ugh! I've often contemplated this problem if I am one day so unlucky. I've taken great pains to make sure that assembly is as dependable as possible.

I've attached pictures of my latch and post.

My first possible solution was to use a screwdriver attached to a broomstick through the small openings aft of the rear seat back and remove the latch or the post. But if your spare is in the way and you can't unbolt it/ push it out of the way that's not going to work.

On my latch I've removed the anti-theft plate. If yours is not installed then you can try using a stiff wire or some kind of tool to jimmy it open. A local locksmith might be able to help.

Next you've got to decide what kind of damage is easier to fix, cutting a large hole in the bottom of the trunk or cutting off the lock mechanism itself.
    Attached Files

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
      Apprentice
      • Mar 17 2010

So having a similar issue. I replaced the trunk lock cover and while doing so I had to remove the trunk lock mechanism. While doing this a spring came off in the actual mecnahism. No idea where the end of this spring goes and if I put it back in the mechanism won't work leaving the trunk locked. I'm referring to the mechanism shown in the top picture in the T previous post. This is a 65 tbird I'm working ln

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

That's a riveted assembly, very difficult to repair unless you're a locksmith. Check from our list of vendors for a replacement.

Comment

• 1965TbirdMan
          Apprentice
          • Mar 17 2010

Yeah it's been kicking my butt I haven't seen it on many sites but perhaps I've missed it. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍