Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prostreet 60 Thunderstang
    • Jul 27 2011

Hood alignment on a 57 t bird

does anyone know of a good user tip on how to ajust a hood alignment on a 57 thunderbird . me and a friend have spent a bunch of time trying to get all the gaps aligned to make it look right it acts like somthings binding and wont alow it to shift to were it needs to stay we have everything loose then we ajust everything then we get it tight but it moves and will not stay lined up the way we set it . if anyone has any good ideas i sure would appreciate the imput thank you for looking at my post Bill
  • Jimz Bird
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2011

Hi Bill,

He probably has the '57 shop manual and has referenced pgs 10-17/20 which should do it. If not, then perhaps there has been frame damage at one time. If the shop manual procedure doesn't work then try to get it to a good body shop to check the frame and body alignment.
    Jim
    Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

If the hood is high at the front edge along the nose panel, the hinges may be worn. I have cheated and elongated the holes to allow the hinges to be moved down a bit. Not the best way to do the job, but it may be enough to make an alignment if the hinge isn't worn too much. If at the cowl or windshield edge there is usually enought adjustment of the hinges or pins to make it happen.

Comment

• Prostreet 60 Thunderstang
        • Jul 27 2011

hood alingment update

hey guys i appreciate the imput . i found the problem jim was right
        the car at some time of its lifetime musta took a hit in the front end and had tweaked the mounting area for the hinges just enough to throw the alignment out of wack no allowing things to line up were they needed to go so we had to do a bit of shimming to bring it back were it needed to be
        thanks again Bill

Comment

• Jimz Bird
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2011

Glad you got that "straightened" out.
          Jim
          Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎