X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidmij
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 17 2011

Thx Dave Dare.
    Well, I hooked it up and sadly it doesn't work. I double checked that I had 12 volts across the screw on the back and the case (in case the fuse was bad).
    At any rate Eric, it seems to be OK mechanically but you'd have to fix what ever the electrical problem is.

PM me and let me know what you decide. Thx again Mr Dare.

Regards, dave J

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Wait a minute... Don't give up too soon, there is a contact that gets dirty. If you look inside you can see the solenoid that pulls in the winding mechanism. It's not small or fragile. Along with that is the contact. Run a small strip of sandpaper between the contacts and try it again.

Once it winds up, the mechanisms usually free-up with very light oil (like sewing machine oil). I use a teethpick to apply the oil. (Folks in Ohio call it a toothpick. I won't say why. "Hi'ya, I'm from Ohi'ya. Nice tooth...")
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• davidmij
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 17 2011

Thx Dave Dare!
        Eric and I are swapping these parts so he will give your fix a try when he gets the clock. Hopefully it's a win/win for us. Either way we have nothing to lose because neither one of us is using what we have anyway, but we may be able to us what the other guy has.

regards, Dave J

Comment

• davidmij
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 17 2011

Thought I'd follow up here and ask another question. I have the new speedometer (thx Eric!) and a new speedometer cable with the correct plastic gear on the transmission end, but the speedometer still doesn't work. If I take the speedometer out and turn the end shaft with a drill it works, thus I believe the speedometer itself is good.

Soooo, what I'm guessing is that the gear inside the 4 speed toploader is no good. I will check this weekend by pulling the cable out of the speedometer and feeling the end of the cable as I drive it. It should move.

Is it very hard to remove the tail end of a toploader to replace the plastic gear inside? Would I have to pull the tranny to do it?

thx, Dave J

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by davidmij
            ...Is it very hard to remove the tail end of a toploader to replace the plastic gear inside?..
            Top Loader transmissions have a 'type 4a' plastic, color-coded pink (6 teeth) or black (7 teeth) drive gear pressed onto the output shaft. This is easy to access and change.

Automatics machine either 8 or 9 teeth into the metal output shaft. To change an automatic gear, the whole output shaft must be changed. Not so for manual transmissions.

Support your car on solid jack stands, pull your driveshaft off, pull the speedometer gear out, loosen the tail shaft and pull it off. I didn't look in the service manual as it might have further instructions. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• davidmij
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 17 2011

Thx Dave, I think I bookmarked a link a year or so ago that showed a toploader rebuild. Hopefully I can still find it and see how it comes apart. I believe the David Kee site might have directions also now that I think about it.

I did all the math for my tire size, differential size, etc and got the cable end gear that should make my speedometer fairly close to right on. I'm pretty sure I have the pink gear in the tranny. It'll probably wait until summer, but it sounds fairly painless and I'd love to have a working speedometer.

thx Again, DAve J

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎