Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbraun
    • Jun 19 2016

New cA730 power steering leaking?

Hello My father has worked on his 56 T-bird for 8 years and most problems have been sorted. He's bought almost everything new and one of the things we can't figure out is why the new power steering is leaking in two spots. One is where a hose goes into the housing by the driver's side wheel (compression fitting isn't sealing) Can we use plumbers tape on the threads?

sEcondly, and more importantly, we are also getting a leak where the end cap (same side) is leaking between it and the housing, or the metal part that looks like a gasket, but isn't I've looked up the schematic for the A730 power steering and looks like all parts are inside the housing (though my dad took it apart, don't know why; he's pretty old and forgets things) How is that whole end cap supposed to seal if its all metal parts?

Thanks a bunch in advance. We are trying to sell the car and the leak there is driving me crazy, cause its in my garage til it sells!
  • Wade
    • Sep 4 2013

Power steering leaking

The power steering hose connection should be sealed by the flare on the tubing and the machined seat in the control valve when the fitting is tightened. I always heard never use Teflon tape or anything else on the threads of a flared fitting. The end cap leak should be prevented by the o-rings on the spool valve sealing to the cylinder bore. More than likely you have a newly rebuilt control valve. You probably should contact the rebuilder if this is the case. The end cap leak plagues a lot of people. Some of the T-Bird dealers supply a new spool valve slightly larger than the original to compensate for cylinder bore wear.
    Wade

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎