Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

yes, those are some nice wheels you have....

I'm not sure about the shortened rear end you mentioned. I'll have to ask the seller. The car should be delivered here around July 20.

I can hardly contain myself. I wake up at 5 am every morning thinking about it (about 2 hrs. too early)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Coral
      Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

5 am...
      those are hours for night owls or people that have sleep issues like myself... just relax then...7 / 20 is right around the corner...

say, is the garage cleaned up for her arrival?

correct lighting for photography for the SB forum?

Check it out and correct any thing now, so we can see everything RIGHT the first time!!!

OOOOOOO how exciting!!!

Comment

I like your car Greg. It would look good sitting in MY driveway!!

Has anyone checked out newtakeoff.com or ninosport.com for wheels and tires. Both sell parts off of new cars that have gone thru the change of life, like when Saleen take GT parts of Mustangs and put their own parts on.
        The parts are brand new from cars with less than 5 miles on them. I bought a GT spoiler, 2 GT mufflers and dual exhaust system for my V6 Mustang. Anyway here is a sweet deal they have on a set of Mustang wheels and tires.

Comment

Nice score ...

the 385 series are good engines, a bit heavier but lots of tourque. Let us know how the cooling system works. I'am planning a 482" FE for the 60', so I'd be very interested in knowing if it 's a stock radiator. The Squarebirds tend to trap hot air under the hood, more so when lowered like mine. The wheelwells, well, what can you say, you live withit if it does'nt bother you to much. If it does it can be fixed. That's a great price for that car. Put a TKO-600 overdrive in there or an AOD auto and get about a .68 overdrive. Be just as quick as the C-6 but get 20 mpg. Mike

Comment

• Coral
            Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

oooh, I've prickled arm hairs here think its a good deal!

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

The seller said the radiator was flushed or cleaned out or whatever-you-call-it.

But yes, possible overheating crossed my mind as well. I've seen old cars steam up in slow-moving parades. Not sure if I'll be doing any parades, but you never know...the daughter's gymnastics group might need a chase vehicle someday.

And couldnt a guy increase his street/highway mpg by just installing some higher gears in the rear end?

Comment

You can just change the rear gear for increased mpg, but what you gain at the top you lose at the bottum. The overdrive gives you the best of both worlds. If I recall correctly your car has 4:11 rear gear. At 70 mph with a 28" tall tire you will be turning 3454 rpm, that can get expensive and annoying on a long trip and is hard on the whole drive line. Add a .68 overdrive and at the same speed you drop to 2349 rpm. If it were mine I'd go to a 3:50 rear gear, at the same 70 mph your now turning 2941 rpm, now add the .68 o.d. and your running a gas sipping 2000 rpm, just about perfect for a stout big block. Mike
                Last edited by Guest; July 10, 2009, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Hey Dakota Boy,
                  If she runs hot or warm, you might want to add a five or six blade fan and a fan shroud.
                  I done this on Christine and it made a world of difference. I know some of the other guys have done this also!
                  Richard D. Hord

Comment

• JohnG
                    John
                    • Jul 28 2003

I'll second the shroud and fan as a big improvement in cooling capability. If you can't track down a shroud, a 6 blade fan is cheap, readily available and takes a very short time to install.

If/when you swap fans, since the fan is very close to the radiator, I would pass along two minor suggestions: 1) put a sheet of flat plastic behind the radiator so you dont damage it 2) use one of those new rachet wrenches like Sears sells as they are very flat and the bolts are fine thread, which take awhile to work out. (I believe they are called Gearwrench) Since we're in there, use Loctite on the bolts on the way back in...last thing you want loose is a fan!!!

Have a look at your coolant and convince yourself it is clean and not in need of a flush. If you are the slightest bit in doubt, haul out the radiator, take it to a radiator shop and let them go through it. Time and money well spent. An overheating motor can lead to all sorts of bad and expensive things...

All these things and 99 cents will now get you a coffee at some convenience stores...

John
                    1958 Hardtop
                    #8452 TBird Registry
                    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                    history:
                    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 30 2009

my car is now in the registry

Comment

• Coral
                        Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Whaa-hoo!!

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 30 2009

the hauler called a few hours ago.
                          my car will be here late tonight or early tomorrow morning.
                          I cant wait...

Comment

• Yellowbird
                            Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Send us pix as soon as you can!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Coral
                              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                              the hauler called a few hours ago.
                              my car will be here late tonight or early tomorrow morning.
                              I cant wait...

Comment

• Coral
                                Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

WELL???

Witty of me to pick a color close to your new birdie wasn't it....

News please...!!! first hand pix....!!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎