• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p38fighter
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 14 2016

Starts in park but wheels are turning in reverse

1959 Convertible 352 Cruise O Matic

Engine and transmission sat for 11 years. I rebuilt the shift column and put in new detent plate and adjusted the shift linkage. It starts - so the neutral safety switch appears good but the wheels are turning in reverse. Trouble shooting in the manual is vague so I'm asking for experience to aim me in the right direction.

Thanks....
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If the car goes into reverse when the shift lever shows Park then you need to adjust the manual linkage. It's page 4-20 in the shop manual.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• p38fighter
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 14 2016

Thanks - I'll recheck that. I did it when I installed the rebuilt column but it bears a recheck o0bviously...

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Most likely you'll have to turn the adjuster clockwise to pull the trans linkage up to the Park position.

John

Comment

• p38fighter
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 14 2016

I adjusted the linkage per the Ford Of Canada service bulleting which alters step 4 of the manual procedure. There was no change. Does the fact that the wheels are off the ground have any effect? Initially I had noticed slight movement on the ground so jacked it up to prevent a big whoops...

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It doesn't matter if the wheels are on or off the ground. You should get no movement with the selector in Park. Disconnect the linkage from the steering arm. Pull the trans linkage all the way up. There should be no movement of the rear wheels. If that's the case keep turning the adjuster clockwise until the hole lines up with the steering arm.

John

Comment

• p38fighter
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 14 2016

John, I appreciate your helping me.

I did as you suggested but the wheels still turn. In fact the right rear is turning at considerable speed. I counted clicks on the trans and there are five. I also checked trans fluid and its on the mark. The previous owner bought it and never did anything to it including running it. So I have no history to fall back on.
              Last edited by p38fighter; November 30, 2017, 02:24 PM. Reason: name mispelled

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Five clicks is correct; R-N-D2-D1-L. Can you put it in Neutral without the wheels turning.

John

Comment

• p38fighter
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 14 2016

No - starting to think internals in the tranny are at fault?

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

That is strange. Do you have the kickdown connected. If so try and disconnect it and see if it makes any difference. You are probably right about it being an internal problem.

John

Comment

• p38fighter
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Oct 14 2016

I'll do that - but have to leave right now. I'll let you know what happens later. Thanks again...

Comment

• Frango100
                        Experienced
                        • May 2 2016

Indeed looks that the shift mechanism inside the transmission has a problem. In "P" the park pawl should keep the wheels from turning, besides the fact that the manual valve should not allow any fluid to any band or clutch pack.
                        sigpicFrank
                        1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
                        Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Here's your first clue:
                          Originally posted by p38fighter
                          ...I rebuilt the shift column and put in new detent plate and adjusted the shift linkage. It starts - so the neutral safety switch appears good but the wheels are turning in reverse....
                          The steering column is rotated! Reset the steering column by pulling it up to your chest as far as it will go, rotate it correctly, tighten it, THEN do the linkage adjustment (since you now have it out of whack). Put the shift lever in Park and match the linkage at the arm.

When both rear wheels are off the ground and the car is in gear, one rear wheel can rotate forward while the other rotates backward because there is no resistance. That's how the differential's spider gears work without limited slip. If you hold one rear tire solid to the ground, the other wheel (up in the air) will rotate in the correct direction. If the trans is in PARK, no wheel motion should happen. - Dave
                          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• p38fighter
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Oct 14 2016

Dave thanks for the suggestion. However when I put it in park by pulling the shift linkage connected at the trans and disconnected at the column, all the way up, it should be in park and yet the wheel still turns.

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Starts in park but wheels are turning in reverse

Chris, I am not sure you understood what Dave said. There are two bolts underneath the dash that hold the steering shaft or column in place. Loosen those two bolts, and then pull the steering column/wheel up towards your chest as far as it will go. Rotate or turn it as you need to. It will probably help if you have someone who can reach down with a wrench and tighten those two bolts while you are holding it in position, so the steering column does not slip back down.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎