X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by simplyconnected
    That may be, Anders. But how much do your cars weigh? Squarebirds had different options, but not enough to change spring sizes. The margin of error in a heavy car is a small percentage compared to the margin of error in a light car.

Here we are talking about sixty year old springs that should be changed long ago. If you ever get new springs, not only will you notice a difference in stance but in ride. Old springs sag, they get brittle and sometimes they break.

I can tell a big difference in engine performance when I change valve springs. New ones are far more flexible and they only cost about thirty cents each.

As a teen age kid, I used to play around the rail road tracks. Every so often I could find a piece of coil spring from one of the cars. These were heavy duty, but they still got brittle and broke. - Dave
    I don´t think there is much of a difference in todays cars and my T-Bird. In the ´70s they was light, but with all electronics, crash zones and god knows what, todays cars are pretty heavy. No, I´m not talking about a Toyota Yaris or a VW Up... A Volvo V70 are 2200 kg with oil and fuel. I think my T-bird is pretty much the same. Or? I does have an extra set of springs to Ruth, but they are exactly on the spot the same height as my old.
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by dgs
      A properly designed coil spring will have theoretical infinite life, if operated within its design parameters...
      Originally posted by Anders
      ...I does have an extra set of springs to Ruth, but they are exactly on the spot the same height as my old. ..
      Let's hear what the spring experts say at Eaton Detroit Spring:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkkVZeIGpi0
      Theory isn't practical in the life of an automotive spring. Springs sag, ride hard and they break. They 'work harden' with extended use which causes them to ride hard. Springs are always replaced in pairs to be sure they both came from the same batch of steel and heat treat.

So, looking at heights only paints a partial picture. Springs can be worn out even though they look ok. If you want that new car ride, treat your car to new springs. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎