X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Proper Tire Size

My 59 Squarebird has tires this size: P195/ 75R14.

Is this the correct and typical size tire for these?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

They're about a size smaller than normal. P215 75/14 is closer to the factory 800 x 14 belted tires but are still slightly smaller. P225 75/14 are slightly larger.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
      Experienced
      • Jul 13 2018

Thank you! So I could go with either of those sizes and be ok? Any disadvantage to what I have on there now being a size small? Appreciate it.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The biggest disadvantage is that your speedometer will be off using smaller tires. The car will also sit lower than normal. Squarebirds sit low in the back to begin with so with smaller tires you may have an issue backing out of steep driveways. If new tires are in your future I suggest 215 or 225.

John

Comment

• ssj335
          Experienced
          • Jul 13 2018

Thank you! I only plan on new tires if mine are no good. I will have it looked at. If the car was sitting around a long time I'm afraid they could have rotted some and pop on a drive.

I looked up the 215 and 225, and Firestone only lists those sizes on 15 or 16 inch rims. I believe my rims are 14? I could be wrong but my current tires say 195/75/14 so I think they're 14 inch rims.

Originally posted by jopizz
          The biggest disadvantage is that your speedometer will be off using smaller tires. The car will also sit lower than normal. Squarebirds sit low in the back to begin with so with smaller tires you may have an issue backing out of steep driveways. If new tires are in your future I suggest 215 or 225.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Proper Tire Size

Kirsten, yes, your tire size tells you that you do have 14" rims on that car still. When you get that car up on a rack, have someone look at the tire date stamped into the back of every tire. Tires made after 2000 have a 4 digit date code stamped into them. If you can't find that code, then those tires were made more than 18 years ago! That code should be the week of the year they were made followed by the two digit code for the year. Like 1615, for the 16th week of 2015. As for how often they should be replaced, some tire manufactures say 5-6 years, some say after 10 years, if wear is not bad and you check your tires thoroughly on a regular basis after 5 years of use. Of course, if you have uneven wear on the tread due to poor alignment or other problems, get them swapped out.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• ssj335
              Experienced
              • Jul 13 2018

Thanks Ray will do!

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Are you looking for blackwall, thin whitewall or wide whitewall. If you just want blackwalls Walmart has Hankook 215/75/14's for around $45. Thin and wide whitewall tires are available but are much more expensive.

John

Comment

• ssj335
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 13 2018

Thanks for the heads up!

Ideally... the thick whitewalls are my favorite, followed by thin whitewall. Wish I had less expensive taste!

Are you looking for blackwall, thin whitewall or wide whitewall. If you just want blackwalls Walmart has Hankook 215/75/14's for around $45. Thin and wide whitewall tires are available but are much more expensive.

John

Comment

• dgs
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Feb 13 2003

They're about a size smaller than normal. P215 75/14 is closer to the factory 800 x 14 belted tires but are still slightly smaller. P225 75/14 are slightly larger.

John
                    The 215/75R14 are a bit wider but a bit shorter than the original 800-14. The 225/75R14 are a bit wider but a bit shorter than the original, optional 850-14. They are the best alternatives in the modern radial sizes.

There really is no tire in modern radial sizes that match the width & height of the old. However, Coker does now make radials in the old bias sizes and with the old "pie crust" look. They aren't cheap, though, and some folks here have had issues with Cokers.

Here's a link to their 800R14 tire:

Coker Tire Company's award-winning Bias Look Radial American Classic tire is made in the USA and thoroughly tested to ensure superb quality for your collector vehicle. You can trust that American Classic Wide Whitewall Radial tires are ready for the road, but they're also ready for the show field with beautiful styling and a whitewall that is built in to the tire from day one. The genuine whitewall construction, along with the "pie crust" shoulder and vintage-style tread pattern give this tire the original look, while the steel belted radial internals make it the perfect choice for a car that will see plenty of miles. This is a tubeless tire, but keep in mind that tubes are required on some OEM and reproduction wire wheels.
                    DGS (aka salguod)
                    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                    www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎