No announcement yet.

1959 t-bird 4speed manual trans

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1959 t-bird 4speed manual trans

I have come across a '59 T-bird that has what appears to be a factory 4-speed manual transmission with a column shift. What can anyone tell me about it? Is it real?
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: 1959 t-bird 4speed manual trans

Welcome to the site.

1958 to 1960 had standard 3-speed manual transmissions with the 352 engine. An 3-speed manual with overdrive was optional. With the 430 engine in 1959 and 1960, the automatic transmission was required. The manual transmissions were very rare during the 1958-60 Thunderbird productions,, so they were not available in 1961. 98% of Thunderbirds from 1958-60 had the optional automatic transmissions. No 4-speeds were available. All the manual transmissions where column shift.

A friend told me that many years ago he had a factory 430 with manual transmission, but that car was destroyed in an accident.

Holman-Moody campaigned 430 equipped cars with manual transmissions during 1959 and 1960, but these were custom built by Holman-Moody on body shells that did not make to the end of the production line.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you, I did not try the car, but was told that by the sailsman. I did notice that it had overdrive. Perhaps that was the 4th gear he was refering to.

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

You would know the car has overdrive by a chrome handle under the dash marked "overdrive." Youwould shift into third and then pull the overdrive handle to put it into overdrive.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
          Experienced
          • Mar 31 2004

I cannot verify that there wewre many 430's with manual transmissions, but saw one in Mi. that toook a while to verify. The serial number stamped into the body under the cowl did verify the data plate that it came with a 3 speed manual trans. I do not remember if it was an overdrive model or not.

There was no ROT sheet found to gurantee that it was real.

Fuz
          58's&64's

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎