No announcement yet.

1959 Fairlane Tranny Removal

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided to pull the 2 speed automatic (292 V-8) in my 59 Firlane to fix a front seal leak. Driveshaft is out, emergency brake is disconnected, linkage is disconnected and starter is removed. I supported the rear of the engine with a bottle jack and removed the tranny cross member. When I tried to lower the engine/tranny combo, the angle hardly changed making it almost impossible to reach the top 2 bell housing bolts. Has anyone here had a similar experience? I looked online and could not find any information on removal of a tranny for this year/make/model.
    Thanks, Jim
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Jim, Dave Dare ~ simplyconnected, our webmaster, owns a '59 Galaxie. Hopefully, when he gets on, and sees this, he might be able to assist you with this.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are access holes in the floor. You have to pull back the carpet and remove the covers to get access to the top bolts. You need to get a shop manual. All the information is in there. There are reproduction manuals available in both book form and digital form.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Jim, I found it easier to pull the engine and transmission together in my Galaxie. When we got the car it was worn out, burning oil and a stick shift. I found a guy who was scrapping his Fairlane so I bought his Y-block, COM, and all the parts to turn our car into a factory automatic. I rebuilt the 292 and the COM. I didn't see access holes in the floor when I changed the carpet but it didn't matter in my case.

Click Here for the engine overhaul.
        Click Here for the transmission overhaul.

It might very well be possible to remove the transmission separately but like most Ford cars, bellhousing bolts are a pain to reach. Then, when you're done rebuilding your trans, aligning the trans torque converter and the flex plate are another challenge when in the car. I find these much easier to assemble outside the car because there is lots of room to turn the crank and align the converter studs. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks for the info/recommendations. The tranny is out and now we find out that the torque converter collar is chipped and the 56 year old unit is showing debris in the pan (probably worn clutches and other shavings). A local tranny guy will do a complete rebuild including the converter for about $1400. Now the question is do I sink $1400 into the Cruise O Matic or does it make sense to look at replacing it with a C4 or C6 or other compatible tranny without getting into driveshaft or other modifications.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Jim, I am going to say, (and those with better knowledge about this than me can confirm this or point you in the right direction) that if you can find a good, working C6 (Not a C4) tranny that does not need overhauled, or has been recently overhauled, go for it... Especially, if it costs less than what they want to overhaul the COM. Parts for the C6 are more easier to come by, is my understanding, than for a COM. You should have no problems mating it to your engine... But lets see what Dave ~ simplyconnected, jopizz, or others have to say about this...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Thanks Ray. My main concerns about changing to a C6 is that I don't want to run into issues with bell housing fit, starter mounting and driveshaft length. Jim

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by jimserra
                ...The tranny is out and now we find out that the torque converter collar is chipped ...
                I have seen this happen when trying to mate the trans to the torque converter. That's one reason I never use this technique.

I always slide the converter into the trans first, then offer the trans assembly to the flex plate holes.

$1,400 is about the going rate for a transmission overhaul with a decent warranty, regardless of which trans you have rebuilt.

What 'service' is this trans going to see? If you pull a trailer I would look for a good C6. The starter motor mounts to the bellhousing so depending on what year the trans came from, you also want the spacer plate (if it had one that year) between the engine and trans, and the flex plate.

Otherwise, if your trans is going to see standard passenger car service, keep the 3-speed C-O-M because the C6 robs more power to operate.

A C6 is heavier duty but everything comes at a fuel economy cost. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎