X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

225/75r 14

No problems Dave. The only problem I had was getting flat tyres, luckily whilst parked in the garage. The culprit was the actual tyres, they had a tag ( sticker ) inside about 1/2'' wide & about 2'' long that punctured the tube due to friction. The tyre shop that did the fitting obviously didn't know otherwise he would have removed them first. No problems since. The handling is great, soft ride & no noise.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• Diesel Dave
      • Jul 25 2010

Originally posted by bird 60
      No problems Dave. The only problem I had was getting flat tyres, luckily whilst parked in the garage. The culprit was the actual tyres, they had a tag ( sticker ) inside about 1/2'' wide & about 2'' long that punctured the tube due to friction. The tyre shop that did the fitting obviously didn't know otherwise he would have removed them first. No problems since. The handling is great, soft ride & no noise.

Chris......From OZ.
      Thanks Chris. I'm really looking forward to running radials because the bias plies are quite an adventure (as most everyone here knows).
      Diesel Dave
      1959 Hardtop (not diesel)

Comment

• dgs
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by NYsquarebird58
        I think you'd be happy with the setup I've got on my bird. remember if you go too wide in the rear, you'll have a difficult time unmounting and mounting the wheels. The rear wheel wells aren't very deep. It's a close fit getting my 215's in there. I'm sure you'd be OK with 225's, but you'd probably be pushing it with 235's
        I'm running 235s all around, but on 17" rims. The rears are a bit of a challenge getting on & off, but once on there's plenty of room inside. I think the 17" wheel diameter actually helps, there's more room inside the wheel to maneuver it over the drum.

My wheels are 17" x 8" with zero offset, which translates into about 4 1/4" of back space I think. Tires are 235/55R17, overall height is a touch less than the original 800-14s at 27.1" The 225/75R15 would be close in height to the optional 850-14 at just over 28".

#3 done & ready for cars & coffee next week. by _salguod, on Flickr
        DGS (aka salguod)
        1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
        www.salguod.net

Comment

• Diesel Dave
          • Jul 25 2010

Just to follow up, I pulled the trigger on some BF Goodrich 225/70R15s on 15x7 smoothies. They fit really well and look fantastic.

I haven't driven the car with them mounted yet (too much snow and crud here right now). The section width is nearly identical to the bias plies, so I don't think it will be a problem. They are wider at the contact patch, though, so there may be a possibility of a rub up front. We'll see.

Thanks to everyone here for the pointers.
          Diesel Dave
          1959 Hardtop (not diesel)

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by triple60squares
            rusty, did you drive the 58 with those tires on it? the reason i ask is i am going to run 15"tires on my 60 and i want to run 60 series at least on the back and just curious what i can get away with as far as clearences
            I didn't drive it around, I still had the 17s mounted on the other side of the car... and the upper link in the rear was rubbing on the tire. The front cleared fine.

Two notes for you, we have a 58 with a very low sitting rear. The 58 has those upper links you wouldn't have to worry about. And the backspacing on the rear wheels is setup for the 65 TBird.

But I did take some photos of the clearance in the back, not the best, but it could give you an idea. As you can see in the photos, clearance was fine on the fender side, but the wheel well side was not workable on the 58 with the upper bars.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎