X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Power Steering Loss Low RPM

Just had my 1960 T-Bird PS control valve replaced with Larry's rebuilt unit. I followed directions, used type F, purged air, and all seemed well while the car was cold and rpm around 1500. Then it took great effort to turn while "coasting" and especially at low idle. Is this a symptom of a failing power steering pump or should I suspect the new control valve?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Did you drive the car at all before replacing the control valve? That would help pinpoint where the trouble is. Other than a loose belt or a leak I've never had much trouble with the Eaton P/S pumps. It's possible that the control valve centering spring wasn't adjusted correctly when it was rebuilt. You can try removing the cap and see if the nut is adjusted properly. It should be tightened and then loosened 1/4 turn. It could also be the ram cylinder but if it's not leaking I would look elsewhere.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

The PS operated fine before replacing the control valve. The control valve and PS lines were leaking pretty good, which is why I replaced both. Can the end cap be removed without losing a quart of new fluid?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There should be no fluid at all in the end cap. If there is the spool seals are leaking and you need to send it back.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

Eureka! Air still in the PS lines. Larry's set control valve up correctly. I turned the wheels stop to stop, and while it played **** with the belt, eventually the ugly noises and jittery steering wheel stopped. This is always mentioned and should be emphasized when replacing a key PS component. Power steering again with no leaks!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎