• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Rear Skirt Poor Fit

Hello,

Anyone know why a skirt would sit like this? I believe the skirt is the standard size. The one on the other side of the car looks normal and fits fine.
    Attached Files
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Most likely a reproduction quarter panel was installed. The fit is not as good as the factory and needs to be modified at times to get the skirt to fit correctly. I've spent countless hours trying to get skirts to fit those repro quarters correctly. Obviously someone didn't want to take the time to do it right.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
      Experienced
      • Jul 13 2018

Thanks - so does that mean that it pretty much cannot be fit properly because it's just not the correct size?

I have a spare skirt for the driver side but it is not in as nice a shape. And I'm wondering if it is the skirt that is mis-shapen, or the quarter panel. Will share photos.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Put the other skirt on and check the fit. If it's the same then you know the quarter panel is the problem. Trying to fix it without damaging the paint on either the skirt or quarter panel is going to be difficult. I would leave the quarter alone and try to massage the skirt so it fits better.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
          Experienced
          • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by ssj335
          Hello,

Anyone know why a skirt would sit like this? I believe the skirt is the standard size. The one on the other side of the car looks normal and fits fine.
          The front looks good, Just not the rear bottom . Is the pin lined up and in the skirt hole ? Thought you had a hard top Kirsten ?

Comment

• ssj335
            Experienced
            • Jul 13 2018

Thanks for the advice. Will do!

Comment

• ssj335
              Experienced
              • Jul 13 2018

Originally posted by OUR5T8BIRD
              The front looks good, Just not the rear bottom . Is the pin lined up and in the skirt hole ? Thought you had a hard top Kirsten ?
              I have no experience removing or putting these on so I could not say for sure.

I do have a hardtop... but I am very likely upgrading to a convertible. I have a sale lined up. Not giving up on being a tbird owner!

Comment

• Woobie
                Experienced
                • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by ssj335
                I have no experience removing or putting these on so I could not say for sure. ...
                From the front of the skirt, approximately centered, on the interior side of the skirt, you'll find a lever that locks the skirt onto the quarter panel.

From, memory, the lever would need to be pushed downward to unlock and moved outwardly towards yourself while depressed, and finally moving the lever up to release and remove the skirt.
                Austin

Comment

• ssj335
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 13 2018

Thanks for that explanation! So I can just reach behind and under the skirt and detach it fairly easily?

Here are photos of my extra skirt - it is a bit rough around the edges. Probably would need to have it cleaned up, maybe repainted b/c there are a few scuffs. There is a little light rust it appears on the back side. What do you think I should do with this? I guess see if it fits first of all!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Y-Blokkah
                    Apprentice
                    • Oct 4 2018

Like Joe said, to me it looks like a rear fender half was replaced and nobody checked the fit of the skirt before welding.

When I did the quarters on my Crown Vic and my 56 Monarch, I made sure the skirt was lined up and held in position before I welded my first tack spot.
                    It's so, so easy to be off by a half inch and not even realize it.

If that's the case, the easiest way is to have a body shop modify the skirt to fit. No that expensive and it'll work. but that skirt will then only fit that opening on that car.

Looking good, though! Love the turquoise.

Ernie

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
                      Experienced
                      • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by Woobie
                      From the front of the skirt, approximately centered, on the interior side of the skirt, you'll find a lever that locks the skirt onto the quarter panel.

From, memory, the lever would need to be pushed downward to unlock and moved outwardly towards yourself while depressed, and finally moving the lever up to release and remove the skirt.
                      Have one just like it . Lift the lever up slightly to release it from the lower skirt lip and move inward slightly and lower . Skirt is now free to lower and out .

Comment

• Y-Blokkah
                        Apprentice
                        • Oct 4 2018

It almost looks like no weatherstrip is there either.
                        Hard to tell, but I hope the skirt’s just not on the bracket correctly

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Rear Skirt Poor Fit

It looks to me that just maybe... the back part of the fender skirt might not be in that rear pin... I hope it is something simple like that. It looks like the front pin is in the hole of the fender skirt, but maybe not the back one... Also you are right about the weatherstripping. It is hard to tell if there is any or not. Regarding the pic of my right rear wheel, years ago, after ya'll said it would look better if I reversed the tires and put the white lettering to the inside of the tire, I did on all four tires... Ya'll were right, it did look better.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by YellowRose; October 12, 2018, 02:33 AM. Reason: Added pic and comment

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Woobie
                            Experienced
                            • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by OUR5T8BIRD
                            Have one just like it . Lift the lever up slightly to release it from the lower skirt lip and move inward slightly and lower . Skirt is now free to lower and out .

Is it ? There you have it ss. If you might be able to do this ? It may be awkward, dusty, sharp and go tumbling...safety first. If you examine the spare skirt, this may give an example of the whole attachment.
                            Austin

Comment

• Woobie
                              Experienced
                              • Apr 1 2016

If the weatherstripping has lost it's flex I'd want an estimate for replacement. Otherwise the skirt may become another rattle spot. The weatherstripping can fall off easily.
                              Austin

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎