No announcement yet.

Choke tube/Vac.tube replacement

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke tube/Vac.tube replacement

I am in the process of sprucing up the engine compartment on my 63 Thunderbird. I know I saw this same discussion on another thread but I can't seem to locate it. The new choke tube covered with white asbestos/ black tar ends fits into a small hole in the exhaust manifold. No problem. What I don't understand is the other steel tube next to it I found sitting in a larger threaded hole an inch or two forward of that. Is there supposed to be a threaded fitting that this tube goes into and threads into the manifold?? This looks like it connects via 4-5" small rubber hose to a vacumn off the intake manifold just in back of the carb. I cannot see that this line does much.. Your thoughts or help finding the thread that deals with this?? Thanks Mike
  • KULTULZ

Originally posted by bul-it

The new choke tube covered with white asbestos/ black tar ends fits into a small hole in the exhaust manifold. No problem. What I don't understand is the other steel tube next to it I found sitting in a larger threaded hole an inch or two forward of that. Is there supposed to be a threaded fitting that this tube goes into and threads into the manifold?? This looks like it connects via 4-5" small rubber hose to a vacumn off the intake manifold just in back of the carb. I cannot see that this line does much..

Your thoughts or help finding the thread that deals with this?? Thanks Mike
    The choke stove works this way-

Fresh filtered air is usually drawn from the carb horn under the air cleaner where it is then drawn to the exhaust manifold choke heat stove by engine vacuum. Depending on year and style, it is then ingested into a filter, heated and drawn into the carburetor choke housing where it supplies heat to actuate the choke spring.

A dedicated repro kit should be available for you car-

Comment

Choke tube

Originally posted by KULTULZ
      The choke stove works this way-

Fresh filtered air is usually drawn from the carb horn under the air cleaner where it is then drawn to the exhaust manifold choke heat stove by engine vacuum. Depending on year and style, it is then ingested into a filter, heated and drawn into the carburetor choke housing where it supplies heat to actuate the choke spring.

A dedicated repro kit should be available for you car-

Thanks for your help. I have the replacement kit from MAC'S.I did'nt see the filter or that piece (plug) pictured at the end of you reply. Where do they go?? Thanks. Mike

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by bul-it

I did'nt see the filter or that piece (plug) pictured at the end of you reply. Where do they go??
        Your's will not have this exact setup, but will give you an idea of function. Below is a later 1968 428 assembly-

I do not have a detailed shot of an early 390 other than the POLICE. Can you managae a photo of your setup?

Comment

• AKastl
          • Jan 31 2009

Bul-it - Below is a pic from my '62 HT... Is this setup more like what you have? If so, then the "U" shaped tube is the fresh-air inlet to the heating chamber and the asbestos covered steel line goes to the automatic choke as you know. The larger threaded area in the manifold (to the front of the choke tube) is (to my knowledge) where the Wixom line workers attached the install chain/threaded bolt assembly for engine install. Then I believe they simply unscrewed the bolts and on to the next...

'62 HT (Raven Blk / Red)
          Original / Unrestored

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎