X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Conv Top Update

Well, I got the deck lid open. A three person operation. My wife was in the car with the eng running pulling the switch (hoping for some asst from the pump . . . . NOT!!)
    My son & I SLOWLY raised the lid, til they both could hold it & I could pull the cotter pins & discon those cyls. What an operation. WHAT was Ford thinking? I could just see a woman back in the 60's fighting this. Or Mr Howell from Gilligans Isl trying to get his golf clubs out of the trunk ("Lovey! It won't open!!").

The cyls are puking brake fluid.
    The electrical seems fine. The locks un-screw. Once the lid was up all the way, the tray flipped. I was hoping the top would move, but no. The motor is toast. No big surprise.
    At least I have one. An NOS in the Ford box.
    So get cyls re-done & hopefully it'll work.
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

When re-assembling consider replacing the hoses and converting to ATF instead of brake fluid. A quality hydraulic oil would also be fine but more expensive than ATF which was used by Ford in later years because ATF does not retain moisture.

The biggest enemy of the convertible top system (especially in the 61 - 66 years) is lack of use. The top should be completely cycled at least monthly, and of course I don't do it either! The owner of our home town Ford dealer came to my home when he heard I bought a 63 SR and was telling me the problems they had when the weather turned nice and everyone wanted to put the tops down - & had tops that were stuck somewhere in between open and closed. Mine was not cycled for the 27 years the car was in storage and worked flawlessly for several months. When a hose blew, I replaced everything and all has been well since.

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

Thanks for that information.
      I've thought about changing over.
      Most people have. Hoses aren't a
      bad idea. Just wanna get it working
      for now.

I found this cool video on line.
      How a 59 works. So simple.
      Pretty bulletproof. And if something goes
      wrong, it doesn't take 3 people to get the
      trunk open

1959 Ford Thunderbird ConvertibleKrieger Ford: Servicing Columbus, Ohio near Delaware, Westerville, Gahanna, and New Albany, OH.http://kriegerford.com/Columb...

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎