No announcement yet.

Newbie 62 M code hardtop

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie 62 M code hardtop

I wanted to say hello. I have recently been given my grandfather's 62 hardtop. It has been in his basement for the past 30+ years. The car has 64k miles. As I have been doing some research, I have discovered that it has the M code engine option. I hope to start the restoration in the next few weeks.

I have found a couple sites that list only 145 M codes were made in 1962 and that 120 of those were convertibles. This leaves only 25 hardtop M codes made in 1962. Can anyone else confirm his or point me towards someone who does?

The motor has not been turned over in at least 25 years. Would you tear it down or try to get it running as is? I'm worried that a valve spring will let go or a ring will stick after sitting for so long. I hate to trash a rare motor.

Thanks for the advice in advance.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Newbie 62 M code hardtop

Welcome.

Your figure is for the number of hardtop M codes is right if memory serves correct. A book I have read lists all the VIN's of the known hardtop M codes. I will try to find it. M code hardtops are very rare. A friend of mine recently sold his.

You can start the motor, without taking rebuilding it. I would drop the engine pan to make sure that the oil pickup screen is clean, not clogged. You might as well change the oil pump while you have the pan off. Low oil pressure will destroy an engine.

You should change you gas tank, repro's are available and use a new fuel filter. The carburetor should be rebuilt.

The engine should be cranked with out ignition to make sure the engine turns and builds oil pressure. Once you know that, the ignition can be connected and the engine started.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah start with the basics and if possible put her up on jack stands with the wheels NOT touching the ground just incase your detent plate is worn and your bird pops out of gear and wrecks something. Definitly start with clean fuel, air, and fresh battery. If you can remove your starter and take it to your local parts store and have it tested. You dont want to beat your head over a simple solenoid or gummed up fuel line. As for smoking....Black=bad fuel or burning some dirty crud. White=needs tuning from sitting for so long. Blue= valves, piston walls, etc may be scored and is burning oil....may need a rebuild. but just hope for the best

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I know the gas tank will need to be replaced. Probably the fuel lines as well. I'm going to put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders this weekend. Maybe sitting for a few weeks will help brake loose any stuck rings.

I'm going to at least drop the pan and put in a new oil pump. I made a tool a while back for a 351 to prime the oil pump with a drill. It looks like it will work on the 390 as well.

Alexander - Do you know how much your friend got for his? I will never sell this car for sentimental reasons, but I would like to know for insurance purposes.

Who do recomend for parts? I've got a few catalogs, just wanted to know who you guys have had good luck with.

Looks like the project just keep piling up. I recently bought a 41 Chevy, but I may have to put it on hold for this one.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Best bet other than catalogs is Napa, Carquest, and even Checker and Autozone but be sure you double check everything you buy from checker and autozone cuz if it doesnt say honda or was made past 1990 they will look at you like you're an idiot when really they're just lazy to actually look up the parts for you. and i dont care what their **** computer says! haha. As for the value go to www.nada.com and click on "consumer" then the tab for "classic car" and just click on your options and see what shes worth. with the "M"code you should see the price go up for obvious reasons.

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

I will ask how much my friend got for his 1962 M code hardtop. He lamented that despite being a very rare car, since it was not a convertible, it does not get the big bucks.

I get most of my parts through Bob's Bird House and Pat Wilson. They are listed on the links page on the Squarebirds main site.

I make the detent plate for the 1961-63 Thunderbird, if you are interested.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢