• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geoffreybusuttilmalta
    Experienced
    • Dec 9 2014

Core plugs issue

Hi there to all

I removed the engine from the car and the side core plugs need replacement. I am goin to place a brass set .. Now i noticed that there are more core plugs between the rear of the engine and the flywheel ... I noticed one a bit large and others small (i guess the small ones are the plugs for the oil passages)..

Do you think that if i change the ones on the sidee of the block would be enough ? Thanks folks
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Yes, the 3 side ones have the coolant behind them. Which can leak/rust from corrosion.

-Jon in TX.
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Are you doing any other engine work? If you are, it may be wise to pull all the plugs and clean out the galleys in the block. These old engines are notorious for a lot of sludge buildup. The cost of the plugs in minimal. Just cleaned my rocker assemblies and can verify the sludge issues.
      Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Geoffreybusuttilmalta
        ...Now i noticed that there are more core plugs between the rear of the engine and the flywheel ... I noticed one a bit large and others small (i guess the small ones are the plugs for the oil passages)..

Do you think that if i change the ones on the sidee of the block would be enough ?...
        The large one in the center of the rear covers the #5 cam bearing and the small plugs surrounding it are oil galleries (one on each side are for the right and left bank lifters while the one on top distributes oil from the pump to all the bearings).

If you have brass plugs you can use them but the rear plugs rarely fail because oil is on the inside, not liquid that can rust. A brass plug set normally comes with a steel cam plug, not brass. When we overhaul a block ALL plugs are removed for the cleaning tank and cam bearing access.

Before replacing the coolant plugs on the sides, use a garden hose (At full-blast) and a coat hanger to dislodge debris from around the bottoms of your cylinders.

Nyles is right about cleaning your rocker arm shafts. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎