Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • howieinfl
    • May 7 2008

Hood Won't Open

On my 59 bird I went to open the hood and the drivers side released but the passenger side won't release. Any suggestions on how to, open it so I can check the cable/latch mechanism ?

Try pulling the handle real hard or there is a rubber plug under the fender that lets access that side. It's all on here. I think it was yellow rose who posted it with pictures.

Comment

• Dutchbird
      Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Hi Howard,

If your hood is still stubborn, here's the link:

Succes!

Comment

• howieinfl
        • May 7 2008

Got it open

Thanks for the link and info. Managed to get it open,the cable that goes through the release mechanism on the drivers side came out of the hole. I think there must be something that goes over the cable end fell off.

I temporarily tied a piece of 1\8 inch dacron rope to the right release mechanism and tied it to the left side hood stop so I can now at least reach under the hood a pop the right side.

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hood Won't Open

Hi Howard,

If you look at the pictures I posted on the referenced link below, you will notice that my long cable to the passenger side latch, is laying down into the engine well. At the end of it, you will also see that the little round ball that is crimped on the end of it is missing. So is yours, more than likely. This was about a year and a half ago, but if I remember right, we replaced that cable with a manual choke cable with that little piece on the end that allows the cable to be pulled and that piece pulls against the release mechanism, releasing the latch so the hood will pop up. You might want to consider replacing that cable. Or find something like the one on the other side that can be crimped on that cable to act as the stop.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Cable stops can be purchased at most hardware stores of which can be crimped or swaged onto the cable using a vicegrips, a pliers or swaging tool. Look at the www.westmarine.com site and search the item/model# 2684256 for a picture of a copper stop sleave.

Originally posted by YellowRose
            Hi Howard,

At the end of it, you will also see that the little round ball that is crimped on the end of it is missing...that little piece on the end that allows the cable to be pulled and that piece pulls against the release mechanism, releasing the latch so the hood will pop up. ...find something like the one on the other side that can be crimped on that cable to act as the stop.

Comment

• howieinfl
              • May 7 2008

Cable Stop

Luckily I found the old cable stop. This one has a set screw in it and the same one on the passenger side. The stop did not slip off, the cable broke 1/2" before the stop.

Was hoping the other side had some extra cable to make up the length but NADA so will have to get a manual choke cable or even one for a lawn mower and 44" long.
              Last edited by howieinfl; September 27, 2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• tbird430
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 18 2007

Originally posted by howieinfl
                Luckily I found the old cable stop. This one has a set screw in it and the same one on the passenger side. The stop did not slip off, the cable broke 1/2" before the stop.

Was hoping the other side had some extra cable to make up the length but NADA so will have to get a manual choke cable or even one for a lawn mower and 44" long.

That is the way all my '60 Bird hood release cables are, set screw adjustable.

In fact, I remember my parents '58 Bird had the same looking adjustable ends as my '60 Bird to...
                Last edited by tbird430; September 29, 2009, 02:10 PM.
                sigpic
                The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎