This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Thank God it happened there, in the safety of your driveway!

I know this car is an 'unknown' to you and you are a fairly recent owner. Whenever I deal with unknown 50 yr-old parts I treat them as if the parts are already shot. Get into the brake cylinders and inspect the bores by feel. If the bleeder valves are stuck, broken or the bores are worn, buy new cylinders. If they look ok, aggressivly pull on the rubber cups. If they tear, rebuild kits are cheap. If you need a lubricant use brake fluid, never use petroleum products on your brake system. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

Almost ready to do a complete overhaul and disc brake conversion.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 AM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default NYsquarebird58 (NEW) Tbird

Hi Marcelo! Boy, that looks familiar! That is about what my couch looked like in the den for awhile, til the conversion started! Don't throw any boxes away until you are completely done. I did and when I had to order some replacement parts because of a defect in them, I did not have the original box it came in so I had to do some digging for the paperwork. I hope the conversion goes very well for you. Good luck with it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Hi Marcelo! Boy, that looks familiar! That is about what my couch looked like in the den for awhile, til the conversion started! Don't throw any boxes away until you are completely done. I did and when I had to order some replacement parts because of a defect in them, I did not have the original box it came in so I had to do some digging for the paperwork. I hope the conversion goes very well for you. Good luck with it.
Thanks, Ray. It was your build that inspired me. Thanks for taking the time to post a detailed parts list in the Members section. Question: where did you get your proportioning valve bracket that mounts to the master cylinder?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default NYsquarebird58 (NEW) Tbird

Hi Marcelo,

When Howard Prout made his, he also made one for me. I might have the drawing for it. Let me look and see. Nope, I could not find the design for it. You might have to contact Howard for that information. I will send you his email address in a PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Marcelo,

I haven't had a chance to keep up as much as I would like and didn't see this info scanning back through the post - but just a couple of things. Are you planning on using your original booster or one modified by Dewy? I found a plumbing seal that works between the booster and master cyl to keep the dust and water out of the booster - should make it last longer. I'll have to look up the number if you need it.

I had my prop. valve on the bottom of the master cyl initially but there just didn't seem to be enough threads on the booster stud to hold the master cyl and prop valve bracket. Found a threaded hole in the frame below the booster and installed a stud - moved the prop valve there (that's why the lines look so bad - had already plumbed them below the master cyl). Since it worked I didn't change the lines - figured I would get back to them one day...

Seemed the valve was pretty close to the manifold too so I think it was a bonus moving it down there.

Just an idea....

Eric
registry 5347

This was before I installed the extender bracket for the A/C

I used the original T for the brake light switch and extended the wires down to the switch. I ran new individual lines to the fronts.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Experienced

Eric,

I'm using a Wysco dual 8" booster I got from "Old Irish Dave"

I just realized that I don't have enough threads left over to mount a bracket on to my booster like how Ray has it, so I think I'll mount it on my fender apron. It should be easier to work on there.

Here's my booster/MC setup.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
Marcelo,

I used the original T for the brake light switch and extended the wires down to the switch. I ran new individual lines to the fronts.
Is the exhaust as close to those brake lines as it looks??
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 AM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 View Post
Thanks, Ray. It was your build that inspired me. Thanks for taking the time to post a detailed parts list in the Members section. Question: where did you get your proportioning valve bracket that mounts to the master cylinder?
You can get the prop valve brackets on eBay. They have chrome ones that are not too expensive. There are two types under MC mount or side mount.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
Is the exhaust as close to those brake lines as it looks??
Optical illusion - although there is not a ton of room in that area for running lines they are actually about half way between the manifold and exhaust pipe - about 6 inches clearance. There was better clearance in that area then when I had the prop. valve mounted under the master cyl. - only about 3 inches clearance there.

Thanks for keeping a sharp eye out to make sure I'm safe.....

Nice looking set-up Marcelo!

Eric

Would have been better to get a master cyl with the outlets on the fender side but when I was first putting it all together this was the one I found for installing the prop. valve under the master. After I changed everything I already had fluid in the master so just decided to go with it until it fails then I might change it.