• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trim code 76
    Experienced
    • Aug 3 2006

addition to detent plate replacement

Ray,
    I have another addition I would like you to make to the website. With regards to Alexanders directions on replacing the detent plate (by the way, they are very helpful). I replaced my plate and still had to lift up on my lever to start the car, not as bad as before though. The lever is very tight now and holds very well. Richard recommended adjusting the neutral safety switch on the underside of the steering column. There were two screws to remove and then you slide it one way or the other until you can start it without lifting on the lever. Worked perfectly for me. I think this would be a helpful addition for all to know about and have it all in one location for the next guy (yikes...or gal, sorry Coral!) that has to do this. Thanks old great one!
    Greg
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Thanks, Greg and Richard!

Thanks for this information because I did not know about this neutral safety switch! I probably need to have that adjusted when I get Rose out of the shop. I am sure JohnG will come along and grab this jewel of information and put it in the TRL. Unfortunately, I cannot fix the webpage the detent instructions are on because I do not have full access to the server. But John can put it in the TRL for all to see.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• bird 60
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 18 2009

My Detent Plate will have to be replaced one day, although it's not too bad. However, I always start my Bird in Neutral. The only time I put it in Park is when I'm parked on a slope. With the Emergency break applied I put it in Neutral to start. I find it to be a lot smoother to put in Reverse or the forward Gear than from Park.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by trim code 76
        Richard recommended adjusting the neutral safety switch on the underside of the steering column. There were two screws to remove and then you slide it one way or the other until you can start it without lifting on the lever.
        Now this was news to me.
        Where is these screws located? I asume it is not the 2 steering collumn screws. I adjust those in order to get the horn working. Pictures perhaps?
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Richard posted this in a thread below this about the detent plate. It is definatly NOT those two locking bolts that secure the steering wheel.

Hey Greg,
          Sounds like your neutral switch maybe out of adjustment.
          If you put your head in the floor board under the steering wheel just below the dash you will see the neutral safety switch on the steering column. Loosen the screws and move it one way try it. If that don't work loosen it and move it the other way. HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE WHEN TRYING TO START HER! Adjust till you get it right. It should not start in gear!
          Richard D. Hord

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Two examples of Neutral Switches (for floor shift and for column):

This type is a harness assembly (with a switch)

This one is just a switch.

Both types have adjustments.
            Hope this helps. - Dave Dare
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎