X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wingman65
    Apprentice
    • Sep 20 2015

63 engine paint/color

Is the engine gloss black, satin black, or semi gloss black? Are the accessories (power steering pump, ac compressor) the same as the engine? Has anyone found a close over the counter match to the castillion gold? I checked Advanced, O Reileys, and Napa and still havnt found what looks like a good match.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The engine components should be semi-gloss black. I've never found an over the counter gold that matches the original color. The vendors sell the correct color in a spray can.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Wingman65
      Apprentice
      • Sep 20 2015

Thanks John, I have semi gloss for components and universal gold for valve covers, will see how it goes

Comment

• Wingman65
        Apprentice
        • Sep 20 2015

Very happy with the results on my valve covers. After media blasting off the 50 year old paint and surface rust, I primed the valve covers generously and then applied 3 coats of Duplicolor Universal Gold engine enamel with ceramic. The outcome was outstanding, I'm very pleased. Now the same with air cleaner. Has anyone painted the valve cover lettering in black? I think it would really look cool, but I'm sure the purists would cringe.

Comment

• bird 60
          Super-Experienced
          • Mar 18 2009

It's your car, & if you think it's going to look cool go ahead & do it , forget about the purists.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

I'm with Chris, don't pay any attention to what others think unless you want them to judge your car.

These machines are made for you to enjoy. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

63 engine paint/color

I'm with Dave and others. I can remember what Alexander told me shortly after I joined the Forum, after buying Rose. I asked him if I should try to put her back into her OEM condition, of if I could modify her some, and make her a safer and better car to drive. I was already thinking of getting rid of that generator and replacing it with an alternator, and making some other more modern improvements to her, which I later did. His response was that since I paid the money for her, I gets to do with her as I want to. He did say to keep in mind that if I wanted to take her to car shows, be judged, and win awards with her, then I need to know that the judges will probably knock off points on her for not being an OEM Tbird. That has turned out to be the case, especially in VTCI judging, but I enter her in the Modified division. She has a trunk full of trophy's from these events, including Best In Shows, 1st to 3rd places. Sooo, do what pleases you....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Wudro
                Experienced
                • Jan 25 2015

I thought about painting my valve cover lettering as well. I went back and forth with it, & may still do it down the road. My concern was the color. As far as the aesthetics go, black makes a good contrast to the gold, but white isn't much different. From an Art perspective, since the letters are raised, this means they would usually get painted a lighter color than the body. Darker colors are for background. So I couldn't decide. Do what you feel and post pics either way! That's the beauty of it.
                Attached Files
                SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                  Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

I agree with the gang. It is your classic and your choice to enjoy
                  Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                  Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

Duplicolor makes a semi-gloss black engine paint that they advertise as Ford Black. It's a great product and I've gone through dozens of cans, as I use it everywhere.

My two cents is to modify your ride as you want it. No one is volunteering to pay me to run a museum, and I want to drive my car with comfort and convenience, so I have dozens of modifications.

Some things I've kept as original as possible, like the exterior body lines and chrome, because I like the character of it. I have the original color but with clear coat because I like the gloss and protection that it affords.

My interior is rebuilt mostly original but I have several modifications there as well. Leather seats, retractable shoulder belts, modern stereo (with retro looks), and I covered the dash with matching vinyl with French stitching- a far superior look to a plastic dash cover.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎