No announcement yet.

Power brake?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power brake?

We are scratching our heads on the 58. The mechanic show rebuilt the brakes completely. They are still not to strong. They checked them over and said the boster wasn't working. Is there any easy way of checking it? We just got everything back together on the drivers side lower panel. The tank was clear and has new hoses on it before we installed that.

Thanks
    corey
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

When you say that the brakes were rebuilt completely --does that also mean new lines, and new rubber hoses front and especially at the rear?

I rebullt my brakes and it wouldn't stop worth a darn. Then I changed brakes lines and found that the back rubber hose was clogged almost completely -- hardly any rear brake action.

As far as the booster. The manual for a 60 says to depress the brake with the engine OFF. Keep foot on the brake and start the car. You should feel the brake pedal move down about 1/2" inch or so.

Someone with a 58 shop manual can give you more information.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

The Kelsey Hayes booster is under the dash on the 58-59 Thunderbirds as well as most 1960's with air conditioning. If you disconnect and cap the hose at the booster you will notice a significant increase in pressure required on the brake pedal. If so, you booster is working.

Old soft hoses that expand will significantly impair stopping ability. Check that your brakes lines are good. Your brake lines could be rusted under the two brake line guards on the drivers side of the car and you might not even know it. Remove them and check.
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• Meridious
        Experienced
        • Nov 16 2007

Originally posted by Alexander
        The Kelsey Hayes booster is under the dash on the 58-59 Thunderbirds as well as most 1960's with air conditioning. If you disconnect and cap the hose at the booster you will notice a significant increase in pressure required on the brake pedal. If so, you booster is working.

Old soft hoses that expand will significantly impair stopping ability. Check that your brakes lines are good. Your brake lines could be rusted under the two brake line guards on the drivers side of the car and you might not even know it. Remove them and check.
        Yeah, it is under-dash with my 60. I was worried when I was told it had power brakes, then saw no booster.

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

The Fix. Other options available. But stock brakes in these cars are NOT satisfactory!! Borderline dangerous. Certainly not up to par in this day and age of ABS and four wheel disc brakes.
          Attached Files

Comment

O HOW true. you can run with traffic and mabye pass alot of it but you are going to do major damage when you slam those
            brakes on.

Comment

brakes

58 brakes are not like 59 and 60 the brake surface when new was barely adequate to do the job. Although the 58 weighs 1000 pounds more than a 2 seater 1957 they have the same brake system. As a matter of fact the 57 has a far superior hydro boost syetem for power assist. Not until 1961 will a panic stop put you through the windshield of a Thunderbird.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

I can attest to that. Apparently on the prototype 58 they had 3" pads to stop this beast and when they initially took it for a run couldn't turn the wheels properly. They cut them back to 2 1/2 "??? along with other goodies for production.
                I have my 58 checked every winter.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

I have to say my 66 t-bird stops better than my 02 f150 and my 60 t-bird and 71 mark 111

Comment

• Alexander
                    Webmaster
                    • Oct 30 2002

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
                    I can attest to that. Apparently on the prototype 58 they had 3" pads to stop this beast and when they initially took it for a run couldn't turn the wheels properly. They cut them back to 2 1/2 "??? along with other goodies for production.
                    I have my 58 checked every winter.

I remember reading some technical advertising on the 1958 Thunderbird where Ford touted that the brake pas were were split and had a small sintered pad in the middle of the shoe that supposedly prevented brake fade. I dont think the idea or any of the pads survived to the next year.
                    Alexander
                    1959 Hard Top
                    1960 Golde Top
                    sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

I do know someone who ran later model drum brakes on his 59. This was before brk/conv kits were so common. It was an improvement, but not like having discs.

I agree with the 66 TB comment. I had that 65. That thing stopped GOOD !!! Little or no pedal effort either.

If you found the right combo at the wrecking yard or pick n pull, you could get the 11" Granada setup for a couple hundred bucks (or less) for everything.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎