• Show
Clear All
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Maybe I can make a lexan air cleaner.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Concerning the original air cleaner, how close do you want to stay OEM?

FORD offered 14" open air cleaners (HP) (either chromed or painted) that would look period correct.

Shame to hide that pretty thing...

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

I've thought about what to do about my old snorkel air cleaner. My body guy took it upon himself to clean it up and powder coat it the original gold color, along with the original baldy valve covers. They look great but I'm a bit concerned that the snorkel may be too **** restrictive.

I don't intend anything over 5000 rpm, so that's just under 600 cfm, but the snorkel does look puny. The ID is just over 2", and it is feeding four venturies that are 1.12". The math doesn't seem to work.

Then again I have two "log" exhaust manifolds and a 2" dual exhaust, and with the exhaust volume being some multiple of the intake volume that is probably more restrictive.

Comment

• KULTULZ

This is an example of the HP air cleaners of the period-

It can be had either chromed lid (and painted bottom) or engine rocker cover color (blue or gold). It will have a tube on the bottom plate for a closed PCV system.

There are exact repros and CHI-COM available so choose wisely.

The exhaust manifolds are extremely restrictive.

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Yeah, one of my logs was cracked so I replaced it with an exact replica. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't spend a little extra and get a set of cast iron headers. I've always thought those were pretty cool.

I've seen those air cleaners- they are very common. However they suck air from the hot engine compartment. I think a good performance set-up would be to add a second stock snorkel to my existing air cleaner and plumb them up to twin cold air intakes positioned in front of the radiator.

Of course the ultimate cool would be to plumb-up an intake to the stock scoop, which of course would have to be opened up and made un-fake.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Yadkin

I've seen those air cleaners- they are very common.

However they suck air from the hot engine compartment.
              Correct. They were just for raw performance.

I think a good performance set-up would be to add a second stock snorkel to my existing air cleaner and plumb them up to twin cold air intakes positioned in front of the radiator.
              What you might be interested in is the setup from a mid-eighties 5.0L MUST. Twin snorkels and outside air entry. That system drew air from the fender aprons but could be plumbed to draw form the core support.

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by KULTULZ
                What you might be interested in is the setup from a mid-eighties 5.0L MUST. Twin snorkels and outside air entry. That system drew air from the fender aprons but could be plumbed to draw form the core support.
                Yeah I know exactly the set-up that you are talking about. Still with my logs in place it wouldn't do much for performance. Since I don't have unlimited resources I'll just have to live with my past decision.

At least for now. Maybe when my exhaust rusts out and I replace it with a larger stainless steel set I'll replace the logs with headers.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Autolite 4100 binding

Here is the info that Gary sent me n the 5.0L Mustang Air Cleaner Assembly. To increase the size of the parts break out push Ctrl +, to decrease Ctrl -.

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/5.0L%2...er%20Asm_5.jpg
                  Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• KULTULZ

This is an example of the HP air cleaners of the period-

It can be had either chromed lid (and painted bottom) or engine rocker cover color (blue or gold). It will have a tube on the bottom plate for a closed PCV system.

There are exact repros and CHI-COM available so choose wisely.

The exhaust manifolds are extremely restrictive.
                    I came across this photo on another thread that shows how the HI-PO air cleaner appears on an actual installation (1964 BIRD).

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

To start out I'm going to use my OEM air cleaner. On that note, I just picked up an STP SA149 that, according to AutoZone, is supposed to fit. It's the correct diameter but about 1/2" too tall.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Yadkin

To start out I'm going to use my OEM air cleaner. On that note, I just picked up an STP SA149 that, according to AutoZone, is supposed to fit. It's the correct diameter but about 1/2" too tall.
                        Aftermarket parts are a PIA.

Yours (1964 BIRD 390) originally took C3AZ 9601-B (FA-6).

It measures;

9.78" OD
                        7.28" ID
                        2.53" H

Comment

• Yadkin
                          Banned
                          • Aug 11 2012

Aftermarket parts are a PIA.

Yours (1964 BIRD 390) originally took C3AZ 9601-B (FA-6).

It measures;

9.78" OD
                          7.28" ID
                          2.53" H
                          Thanks. That's awesome information. Wix makes one, OReilly's sells it for ten bucks, and according to O, it's those exact dimensions.

For those of you who may not be aware, Wix filters are manufactured in North Carolina. They are the best that you can buy, and they are priced right.

Comment

• Yadkin
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11 2012

The new Wix doesn't fit either, for the same reason. The thickness is almost exactly 2.5". I'm thinking my air cleaner is dented.

Comment

• KULTULZ

...hmmph...

Maybe not the correct cleaner asm?

What size came out?

Are there any ID stamping nos on the lid and/or base?
                              Last edited by Guest; April 10, 2013, 03:09 PM. Reason: ASK A QUESTION

Comment

• Yadkin
                                Banned
                                • Aug 11 2012

It's been a while since I tossed the old one. The engine's been at the builder for quite a while now...

The only ID is on the bottom: "4A".

This one's about 1/4" too high.It should still work.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎