Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1960chupacabra
    • Mar 17 2012

1960 4spd coupe

Hello, Virgin poster here, just signed up ans hoping I am in the right place. I recently went to pick up a 1960 coupe from a guy and he gave me a very reatorable 60 parts car to go with it. The parts car has a 4 spd manual transmission that for all I can tell is factory. I looked in some old ford parts resources and found a clutch pedal and other manual trans parts on the parts fische. So now I am almost convinced it is factory but where do I go to run a vin# check. I assume the car is rare and worth the restoration? Any first hand knowledge of these cars would be nice.
    Thanks in advance.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 4spd coupe

Hi Rusty,

Welcome to the Forum. I posted a welcome to you down in the New Members Welcoming Forum. We would love to see the pix of your Tbirds! If you have the VIN # and the Data Plate breakdown, you can go to the Technical Resource Library (always a part of my signature element) and look it up. That will tell you what it left the factory as, and what the exterior color was, interior, date scheduled for production, tranny, and axle. Also go to www.tbirdregistry.com and to Search, plug in the VIN # and see if someone in the past has registered it on the Registry. If so, that may give you some history on this Tbird. Yes, I would imagine that there were not to many of them made with 4spd trannys, so if it can be saved, I would think it would be great to do so.

Go down to this section in the TRL and then look for Data Plate Breakdown.
    Data & Resource Library On Thunderbirds (1958-1966)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

4 speed ...

don't think any came from the factory with 4-speed. Mike

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 4spd coupe

Hi Mike,

According to the OFS, here is what it says. The 1 was the Tranny Code for the Standard Tranny.

1960 352-4v Std. 1 AN 7003-A, r/b C0SS 7003-A Borg-Warner; MSL M-204, 10/23/59 B9SS 7003-A Date code top rear of housing-RH side

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• 1960chupacabra
          • Mar 17 2012

Thanks a million guys for the tesponses and especially for the warm welcome. I would love to post pics but I am currently operating from my cell phone until we get land based internet service out here and cannot figure out how to load them from my phone. I believe I will try to bring the ole girl back. I will figure out the pic thing and post some photos as she comes along. I guess it may be time to find a parts car for my parts car lol.

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
            Experienced
            • Mar 31 2004

There were 2 manual trannies offered on the squarebirds. A 3 speed and a 3 speed with overdrive. All had the shifter mounted on the column.

Anything else is a put together at some point in the life of the bird.

Good Luck and have fun.

Fuz
            58's&64's
            Sun Prairie, Wi.
            tmjsong1@aol.com

Comment

• KULTULZ

The 4/S may be worth more than the parts car. Anxious to know what you have come across.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎