Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frame30
    • Feb 21 2008

1964 trunk replacement

I was happily filling the Bird up in December when I noted a puddle of gas. The brand new tank had dropped. The trunk area helps hold the tank on and is totally rotted out. Now that the snow is gone I am looking to replace it with a kit I bought from the southern US. My question: Is the trunk part of the unibody construction or can I just start cutting out the old rust? after taking the gas tank completely out of course. Look forward to any thoughts. Cheers. Michael.
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Mike, I'm not quite as far north as you are but Detroit is still in the Rust Belt and we are constantly fighting rust. The only solution is to cut out and replace rusted steel. Then it will last another 50+ years.

Covering it over won't make it, and neither does Bondo. Drop your tank and replace the steel. Your tank straps mount to hefty steel, not trunk pans. Get some 12-gauge steel and replace the parts that are rotted. As you work, you may find more areas that are trashed. That's ok. Replace as you go along. When done, you will be satisfied that it's done right and your tank or bumper won't fall off.

Rust is just a fact of life. POR-15 paint helps a lot (so does a heated garage). Protect your new steel from rusting. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• frame30
      • Feb 21 2008

I see. I guess the question is, can I just start chopping the old stuff out once the tank is dropped or is there some structural considerations I need to be mindful of? cheers Michael

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Always support the members you replace. In some cases, rotted parts have already dropped and they need to be restored to proper locations.

Rocker structure is the worst. I have seen where doors won't close properly because the rockers are gone.

I've seen rear floor pans hit the frame because the supporting donuts were rusted through.

T-birds (and other models) are notorious for rusting through the torque box areas, just ahead of the front doors at the sub-frame.

It's no secret, if you have welding and sheet metal fabrication skills, you can save a ton of money. Many of our members have paid to have structural work done and it isn't cheap. Once finished, you will have a new car body.

Good luck and I hope this helps. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• frame30
          • Feb 21 2008

Thanks for the note. I pulled out my new pans yesterday and noticed that there is nothing to "hang" the gas tank straps on to. Is there an aftermarket bracket I can buy to weld to the new trunk bottom pan or do I make new ones? Stumped. Cheers. Michael.

Comment

• 64tbirdJerry
            • Sep 9 2011

Trunk Block Plates

I had a similar problem. Three of the four trunk block plates were also rusted through. Curious if anyone knows where to find new ones. I can make them (without the embossed center) easily enough, but would prefer replacements. Let me know.
            Jerry@LGCP.com

Thanks, and check out Eastwood.com's Rust Converter, i have bathed my 64 Bird in it.
            64TBirdJerry

Comment

• frame30
              • Feb 21 2008

I found the little plates at Mac's in NY State. Cheers.

Comment

• 64tbirdJerry
                • Sep 9 2011

Trunck Block Plates

Originally posted by frame30
                I found the little plates at Mac's in NY State. Cheers.
                Awesome, i'll Google them, would be easier than making them. Thanks.
                64TBirdJerry

Comment

• frame30
                  • Feb 21 2008

Thanks for the help and advice! The old trunk is out, the rust is gone. Canadian Soda Blasting came to the house and blasted it spotless; great job. I spent last night adding to the trunk-pan metal and also putting on the old gas-tank-strap-holders. They came out quite nice. I also fit "plugs" into the holes where the little plates should have bolted in. Never could figure out what they were for although someone told me they might have something to do with a "hitch." Tonight: welding the new sides/tops together and then more dry fitting. I am hoping to get it done by Sunday so it can go back to the garage to have the tank put in. I just can't raise it high enough safely to crawl underneath. Cheers.

Comment

• 64tbirdJerry
                    • Sep 9 2011

Need 1964 Hood (Media Blaster destroyed mine)

Glad that worked out, sounds like great progress is being made.

Now for my delimma, the guy i hired to media blast and prime my entire car brought back my hood for me to look at. It initially was perfectly straight and damage free. He somehow overheated it (said it was while blasting underside) and now the sheetmetal outer hood looks like it was vacuum packed to the support structure on the inside. I am bummed out big time. He has offered to pay for a replacement, so now my search begins to find a replacement in great condition.

If anyone out there has one, please contact me (faster by email: Jerry@ProgressiveGraphics.com) to let me what you have, how much and where it's at. He said he found two on eBay but was afraid to buy either as he wanted to make sure there was not more than one version of this hood. I don't beleive there is but if anyone knows different, chime in. I have a hardtop.

I have plenty to do with the rest of the car when it comes back but man, this is bumming me out at least for now.
                    64TBirdJerry

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1964 trunk replacement

As far as I know, and I think I am correct, the hoods for the '64-'66 Flairbirds are interchangeable. As to where to find one, contact the Bird Nest, the Bird House, and John Draxler of Thunderbird Ranch. They have parts and one of them probably has a hood. Their contact information is in the Advertisements Forum.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• scumdog
                        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by YellowRose
                        As far as I know, and I think I am correct, the hoods for the '64-'66 Flairbirds are interchangeable. As to where to find one, contact the Bird Nest, the Bird House, and John Draxler of Thunderbird Ranch. They have parts and one of them probably has a hood. Their contact information is in the Advertisements Forum.
                        They might physically fit Ray but they're quite different - look at a '65 then look at a '66.

Still, I prefer the 'scoop' on a '65 hood...
                        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎