X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddy blackstar
    • Mar 1 2017

Brake lights

HI all
    Thanks for the great picture in the calendar.First up January was a bonus. I seam to have no power at the brake light switch, have put in a new switch but no power .All the other lights work tail,dash,interior,park,indicators,what could it be.
    Thanks
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Brake lights

Hi Ian, apparently, you either got your calendar or saw the listing on Create Photo Calendars! If you got it, I trust it got there in good condition. If you have not received it yet, you should be shortly, as it has shipped.

Hopefully, someone will be along shortly to assist you in troubleshooting that brake light problem. It could be a faulty ground connection or something else. Take a look at the Technical Resource Library (TRL), and print out the Wiring Diagram for your Tbird. That might help you trace the problem to where it is.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Power comes from the ignition switch. There's an inline fuse very close to the switch. The brake light wire is solid green.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

To add to John's post...
        Find out why your fuse blew by giving a good inspection to your brake lamps. Then remove one battery cable before working under the dash. Sometimes a mirror helps too.

As John stated, the in-line fuse is located right next to the ignition switch on the '60 Squarebird. On all the other Squarebirds, the fuse is on the back of the headlight switch.

When you replace the fuse, remember that this wire is hot at all times. It's easy to short it to ground, especially at the pressure switch (on the Master Cylinder). Use this opportunity to redo your battery cable connections as well. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• eddy blackstar
          • Mar 1 2017

Thanks guys
          I should buy a 1960 shop manual i have a 1958 haha.I have received my calendar thanks Ray .Fantastic cars,and a great job very well done.
          Thanks and hope everyone has a wonderfull Christmas and New Year.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Brake lights

Hi Ian, get the 1960 Shop Manual on CD, not the book. It costs about $25 from The Bird Nest, and will save you about $12 (Book costs about $36) plus shipping cost because the CD weighs nothing compared to the book. The neat thing about the CD is you can print out just the pages you need, take them to the car to do the work and throw them away if you get grease all over them. Not so the book.

It is good to hear that your Calendar has arrived and you are enjoying it!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• sidewalkman
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by eddy blackstar
              HI all
              Thanks for the great picture in the calendar.First up January was a bonus. I seam to have no power at the brake light switch, have put in a new switch but no power .All the other lights work tail,dash,interior,park,indicators,what could it be.
              Thanks
              I'm not sure about the 59 since there are only 4 tail lights, but check the bulb and connections in the back, the connections sit on the floor and the trunk might have had moisture in it. Also the sockets are self grounding, so if the bulb is shorting it could cause a ground fault that fries the fuse. You'll know, change the fuse, if it pops again you've got a short,
              Scott
              South Delta, BC, Canada
              1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
              Red Leather Interior!
              www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
              Thunderbird Registry #61266
              http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• eddy blackstar
                • Mar 1 2017

Thanks found the fuse old bakerlite one had broken apart so ran a new one .All works now
                Hope every one has a fantastic Christmas &NewYear and not toooo cold .I think it is going to be 32C in Melbourne Australia on Xmas day,Nice!

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by eddy blackstar
                  Thanks found the fuse old bakerlite one had broken apart so ran a new one .All works now
                  Hope every one has a fantastic Christmas &NewYear and not toooo cold .I think it is going to be 32C in Melbourne Australia on Xmas day,Nice!
                  Glad you found the problem. It must be nice to be able to go cruisin' on Christmas day.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎